X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE wants to remove sound devices

I've gotten the following message:

KDE detected that one or more internal devices were removed.

Do you want KDE to permanently forget about these devices?

This is the list of devices KDE thinks can be removed:

Output: HDA Intel, VT1708S Analog (Default Audio Device)
    What might have caused this? And should I have KDE forget about the devices or not?

Re: KDE wants to remove sound devices

This happens most often if you use a removable device with sound capabilities, like a bluetooth headset or USB camera with a mic and that device is not available at log in.

The other time this can happen is if you change audio drivers and your devices change because of this.

Either way, selecting "forget" means it won't attempt to load them next log in. You can go into System Settings and change you devices there anytime.

Please Read Me

Comment

system settings

Originally posted by oshunluvr
      Either way, selecting "forget" means it won't attempt to load them next log in. You can go into System Settings and change you devices there anytime.
      Where exactly in System Settings does one change the devices?

Comment

Re: system settings

Originally posted by pwabrahams
        Originally posted by oshunluvr
        Where exactly in System Settings does one change the devices?
        multimedia

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Multimedia and devices

Since I'm using pulseaudio and phonon (is that a mistake?), I don't seem to have a lot of choices within Multimedia:

Under Music within Device Preferences, there are no choices: I get no alternative to "Internal Audio Analog Stereo".

Under "Audio Hardware Setup", the sound card has to be "Internal Audio" and the profile is "Analog Stereo Duplex", with other choices that are downgrades from that such as "Analog Stereo Output".

Under "Device Configuration" I have "Sound Device" and "Connector". For "Sound Device/Playback" I can only choose "Analog Headphones" or "Analog Speakers", and I don't see anything there at the level of "HDA Intel, VT1708S Analog". Apparently Pulseaudio or Phonon makes all those choices for me. The Backend is set to GStreamer. So nothing under Multimedia seems to relate to the devices or to that puzzling message I got.

Comment

I get this annoyance especially after playing movies on my laptop and watching them on the TV via HDMI. I tend to find that even after playing around with the settings on multimedia it only works on my preferred output after a reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by pwabrahams
              I've gotten the following message:

KDE detected that one or more internal devices were removed.

Do you want KDE to permanently forget about these devices?

This is the list of devices KDE thinks can be removed:

Output: HDA Intel, VT1708S Analog (Default Audio Device)
              What might have caused this? And should I have KDE forget about the devices or not?

I get this same thing too on every restart, a big list of devices appears and i usually tick the yes option and say dont ask me again, ,,,,,,,, next time i restart - same thing

Comment

Two mysteries

Just to clarify, there are two mysteries:

1. What provokes this message?

2. How should you decide how to respond?

Comment

This used to happen to me a lot. Re-installing the system fixed it. It's nothing to worry about but is bugging. When it asks to "forget about the devices", click "Yes" or "OK".

Maybe you can completely uninstall pulse (purge) and related software then restart the system and reinstall pulse to fix it. make a note of what you uninstall and be sure to purge any additional software that the system wants to remove. I found it happened most when I opened Dolphin in sudo mode (kdesudo dolphin) and deleted any file from anywhere in the system.

Prior to reinstalling the OS, I had used an upgraded system from 11.04 to 11.10.

Comment

I would agree with ultrageeky This message is generated when there is a change in the audio configuration, choose Yes to forget about them. Make sure you have the latest version of pulseaudio installed. To fix this I would do:

sudo apt-get install pulseaudio, then you will need to install some of the tools to make pulseaudio easier to use:

sudo apt-get install pavucontrol -> a handy volume control app
                    sudo apt-get install paprefs ->pulse audio preferences

now open the Kickoff menu, and type pavucontrol, right click on it and save it to your favorites.

open the terminal and type "alsamixer" no need for sudo

that should open the alsamixer for you from the command line, pressing F6 will allow you to choose your sound device, make sure all your volumes are turned up
                    If one of the channels has '00' at the bottom, press the 'M' key on your keyboard to unmute the volume
                    once you are happy that everything is turned up close the terminal

Open the pavucontrol you saved into your favorites earlier, at this stage it should be just a case of selecting your preferences, pavucontrol is a clever way of selecting your preferences and controlling the sound for individual volumes on individual streams and devices (personally I drag the icon up to the main menu bar for quick access)

next time you reboot, if phonon gives a message , just select the option to forget about these devices and , tick the box not to ask again

from now on use the pavucontrol to choose the audio device you want, it will tell phonon what to do from there provided everything is turned up in the alsamixer

hope this is of help to you

michael

Comment

I get this also, and I think it's a bug in 10.04. It started recently when I started letting my wife log into my computer (hers is dead). She logs in as a second user and when I log her out it sometimes starts acting flaky. A full power down reboot will sometimes fix it. I'm thinking its a driver issue as two processes may be locking horns. I always answer no to the question.

Sometimes it works perfectly, sometimes is doesn't.

Sometimes also Firefox does not unload completely, meaning that I have to do a ps -A and then kill the firefox.bin process before reloading firefox. Maybe related perhaps?

Comment

Well... freaking old bug, I just discovered it. It happens all the time I am trying to edit the partitions of a 4GB Kingston Datatraveler flash, definitely not an "audio" device!
                        I think is something wrong with the Kubuntu's partition manager. I never had this issue on other KDE's and this flash drive.

Oh btw, I m running the version 12.10!

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                          No it doesn't... selecting forget causes kde to remove the entry from its settings. If the device is plugged in again kde will add it back the list of devices as those it was a new device. Selecting ignore causes kde to retain the info so that when the device is added again it can set it up how you had it set up before.

There is no harm caused by clicking either button I tend to always click remove unless it is for a device I just removed.

Comment

Originally posted by xchris View Post
                            Well... freaking old bug, I just discovered it. It happens all the time I am trying to edit the partitions of a 4GB Kingston Datatraveler flash, definitely not an "audio" device!
                            I think is something wrong with the Kubuntu's partition manager. I never had this issue on other KDE's and this flash drive.

Oh btw, I m running the version 12.10!
                            I think this is a new bug, not the old one. I see this too, thought it was a fluke at first. It may have to do with it being a usb drive (as it is in my case as well). I don't think it is necessarily a kde partition manager thing, it may be happening as the usb system is detecting/updating device info. Do you have a webcam/usb headset connected?

Comment

Working...
                            X