• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Laptop temperature gets really high

Originally posted by lindaonline15

can I replace gksu by sudo?
    No.

Kubuntu users should use "kdesudo" as the prefix, and your default text editor is kate. So, push Alt-F2 and enter "kdesudo kate" in the entry window and press Enter. You will be asked for the super user password. Then you can do File > Open, and browse to /etc/default to open the grub file for editing.

Note that the terminal command:

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    is correct as stated in the article. "sudo" is only for Linux commands to be run as super user; "kdesudo" is for running user packages in super-user mode.

Good luck with it!

Comment

Originally posted by lindaonline15
      and one more thing... in this part:
      Code:
      gksu gedit /etc/default/grub
      can I replace gksu by sudo?
      the question might be very basic but since a small mistake may prevent from booting, I want to be triple sure about it before doing it!
      NO unless you are using Ubuntu.......if Kubuntu use
      Code:
      kdesudo kate /etc/default/grub

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

'gksu' is the gnome/unity equivalent to 'kdesudo'

When using the kde desktop, you use 'sudo' to run text-based applications as root, and 'kdesudo' to run gui applications. gedit is a gnome gui text editor. Even when you are using gnome/gtk applications, on kde use kdesudo .

Interesting workaround, I had a feeling it might be something like that. Please let us know if it works.

Edit: just for the record, I use gedit -- I prefer it to kate. You may need to install it if you want to use it. The previous posters are right, kate is the "official" kde editor, but I never let that stop me. But then again I really use vim most of the time anyway, old habits die hard.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

ok... I am here to announce after so many days I finally am in peace...!
          I did the workaround few days ago and wanted to check first and its been few days, i've done alot of stuff that previously would burn my laptop down but now its just cool and calm working perfectly

thanks you guys for the explanations about sudo kdesudo and gksu. it brightens to whole picture for me forever

Edit: just for the record, I use gedit -- I prefer it to kate. You may need to install it if you want to use it. The previous posters are right, kate is the "official" kde editor, but I never let that stop me. But then again I really use vim most of the time anyway, old habits die hard.
          ya me too, after the explanations and after I understood what is happening I followed my own preference by using
          Code:
          sudo vim /etc/default/grub
          alright, now that everything is fine, just out of curiosity can anyone tell me what exactly happened here by adding the pcie_aspm=force ??

I now pronounce this post [SOLVED] !
          Cheers, -Linda

Comment

Re: Laptop temperature gets really high [SOLVED]

alright, now that everything is fine, just out of curiosity can anyone tell me what exactly happened here by adding the pcie_aspm=force ??
            Probably not, but here is some additional info:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...solution&num=1

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
            X