X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop temperature gets really high [SOLVED]

hi,

When I am using kubuntu, my laptop's temperature increases so so much. the fans are working really hard and still I can feel the heat. This is while when I used windows previously the laptop worked perfectly normal during operations.
    any suggestions?

p.s: this has nothing to do with Oneiric distro since I had the same problem using natty, bus since I upgraded to this distro, figured I should discuss here.
    Cheers, -Linda

Re: Laptop temperature gets really high

Do you have an amd/ati graphic card? Opensource ati driver doesn't have good power management.

So if you have ati card, install proprietary driver from additional drivers and your card should be much cooler.
    Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Usually you can pin down this behaviour to one single process or application.
      Press CTRL + ESC and see in the CPU% column what is causing this.

Comment

Originally posted by schnelle
        Do you have an amd/ati graphic card? Opensource ati driver doesn't have good power management.

So if you have ati card, install proprietary driver from additional drivers and your card should be much cooler.
        under additional drivers i got two choices...
        both same name, but one is a (post-release update).
        which is better to do install?

Originally posted by Teunis
        Usually you can pin down this behaviour to one single process or application.
        Press CTRL + ESC and see in the CPU% column what is causing this.
        highest % is the Xorg...
        Cheers, -Linda

Comment

First try the driver without the post-release.
          I have one ATI system and the install of the post-release version quits at about 70%, the 'regular' one works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by lindaonline15
            hi,

When I am using kubuntu, my laptop's temperature increases so so much. the fans are working really hard and still I can feel the heat. This is while when I used windows previously the laptop worked perfectly normal during operations.
            any suggestions?

p.s: this has nothing to do with Oneiric distro since I had the same problem using natty, bus since I upgraded to this distro, figured I should discuss here.
            yes... I have the same issue...
            then I just leave it with the main one.
            thx
            Cheers, -Linda

Comment

Don't use post release one. It is broken.
              Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

yea figured... thx
                Cheers, -Linda

Comment

Re: Laptop temperature gets really high [SOLVED]

I did install the proprietary drivers... its been sometime, but my laptop still gets very hot!!
                  how to solve it...
                  my fan is heavily working and still its really hot...
                  Cheers, -Linda

Comment

Have you tried using another screen resolution, and/or switching from opengl to xrender? Disabling desktop effects?
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                      Have you tried .... opengl to xrender? ...
                      this part should be good.
                      however, would you guide me in doing it coz my settings are default so i assume is opengl.
                      I tried to look it up myself to do it but couldnt get accurate results and since it seems any tiny wrong configuration will crash the whole thing up, i was afraid of giving it a try...
                      i read this post: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099721.0 but the post is old, and i dont think the kde is the same version as when that post was posted. mine is 4.7.2 based on what 'kate -v' reports...
                      Cheers, -Linda

Comment

KMenu --> Settings --> System Settings --> Desktop Effects --> Advanced tab --> Composite type.
                        Chose XRender
                        Click "Apply".
                        A dialog will appear giving you 30 seconds to "Accept" the new setting or it will revert. Click "Accept..."
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

All done.
                          No difference.
                          the best part is that there is no difference in how hot it gets in both when I was using openGL (with many desktop effects) and xrender (with no desktop effects)
                          Cheers, -Linda

Comment

I don't have an ati card, so I don't know the specifics of playing with them. But there are a couple of experiments you might try.

1. Get out of X to a terminal console. One way of doing this is to log out, then at the greeter screen choose Menu > console login. When you get into the console,

sudo service kdm stop

This will stop X, and in a few minutes your laptop should start to cool down.

2. Move your /etc/X11/xorg.conf out of the way. You can do this with:

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.saveme

Then try restarting X with:

sudo service kdm start

Now this is the part about the ati drivers I don't know about --whether it will start without an xorg.conf or not. Real quick to find out, though. If it doesn't, you could try running from the console:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

and then restarting X.

If that doesn't do anything, you will need to move that xorg.conf.saveme back to xorg.conf.

These are just experiments to try, in the off chance that it's a bad X startup file, or else a bad xorg.conf that's giving you the trouble.

You might also want to have a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log (that's a "zero" between the dots) and see if anything jumps out as an error message. It might really be starting more than one instance of X, which linux can certainly do, but your graphics chip might not appreciate.

PS: I am also wondering if kdm is actually running, or maybe gdm or lightdm instead of, or along with it. Either of those scenarios could heat your graphics up quick. Try, from inside kde, running konsole and:

ps aux | grep lightdm

and

ps aux | grep gdm

If you have things like xfce installed, you might also want to look for their dm's, not sure what they are called.

If either one of those things are running, then

sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm

and choose kdm from the menu that comes up, then reboot. That will clear the rogue dm away.
                            We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

thx alot dr. druid for helping me out as usual but unfortunately i couldn't get any results.. i tell you why:

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
                              I don't have an ati card, so I don't know the specifics of playing with them. But there are a couple of experiments you might try.

1. Get out of X to a terminal console. One way of doing this is to log out, then at the greeter screen choose Menu > console login. When you get into the console,

sudo service kdm stop

This will stop X, and in a few minutes your laptop should start to cool down.
                              i didnt notice any cooling down here...

2. Move your /etc/X11/xorg.conf out of the way. You can do this with:

sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.saveme

Then try restarting X with:

sudo service kdm start

Now this is the part about the ati drivers I don't know about --whether it will start without an xorg.conf or not. Real quick to find out, though. If it doesn't, you could try running from the console:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
                              here I got "xserver not installed" !!

and then restarting X.

If that doesn't do anything, you will need to move that xorg.conf.saveme back to xorg.conf.
                              yup, that didnt do anything...

These are just experiments to try, in the off chance that it's a bad X startup file, or else a bad xorg.conf that's giving you the trouble.

You might also want to have a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log (that's a "zero" between the dots) and see if anything jumps out as an error message. It might really be starting more than one instance of X, which linux can certainly do, but your graphics chip might not appreciate.
                              ok, im not really sure what kind of message i should look for in here...

PS: I am also wondering if kdm is actually running, or maybe gdm or lightdm instead of, or along with it. Either of those scenarios could heat your graphics up quick. Try, from inside kde, running konsole and:

ps aux | grep lightdm

and

ps aux | grep gdm
                              here I got these for the above:
                              Code:
                              $ ps aux | grep lightdm
                              linda   5396 0.0 0.0 12000  900 pts/1  S+  22:46  0:00 grep --color=auto lightdm
                              $ ps aux | grep gdm
                              linda   5398 0.0 0.0 12000  900 pts/1  S+  22:46  0:00 grep --color=auto gdm
                              If you have things like xfce installed, you might also want to look for their dm's, not sure what they are called.

If either one of those things are running, then

sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm
                              and I got nothing here...

and choose kdm from the menu that comes up, then reboot. That will clear the rogue dm away.
                              what else do you suggest me..?
                              Cheers, -Linda

Comment

Working...
                              X