Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mediatomb DLNA server application (for streaming your music files\)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mediatomb DLNA server application (for streaming your music files\)

This topic is not a question topic really. I just wanted to say I installed an application called Mediatomb yesterday. The version in the Natty repos is an early beta I think (version 0.11 sounds like beta at least...)

After installing the application, I started it with
    Code:
    mediatomb
    in the command line interface (konsole). The application outputs some text including a http link that is clickable in konsole. I followed the link, and from there I get to a configuration page in my browser. It looks crap but works, I only had to go into the file system folder and add folders and files (there is a scan option too). The added content becomes visible in the database view which is the left half of the display.

On my home theater receiver and my small bathroom radio set, I can browse the same database for audio to play. There is access by artist, album, genre, year and maybe some more. Both the home theather receiver and the bathroom radio are networked devices, and the home theater receiver has FLAC support . This seems increasingly common on audio equipment nowadays, probably because of internet radio popularity.

Maybe this is basic stuff for more advanced hackers, but to me it is great because I found a program that does exactly what I was looking for.

Now, I have discovered I can also use this server to stream pictures and video files, but the client device report unknown file format, even for a jpeg or avi file. I would like to find out what goes wrong so I also can see the video files I have on my computer on my big screen.

Re: Mediatomb DLNA server application (for streaming your music files\)

The last time I tried mediatomb is was too unstable. I use TVMobili right now but please report back your experiences. I like to know if it has improved much. I have a home server that i may upgrade when 12.04 comes out.

Please Read Me

Comment

With a single client, and serving audio files only, so far I have not been able to crash it. Over at ubuntuforums I read quite a few threads about problems before I installed and was positively surprised to see that all the initial configuration problems reported there seems not to be the case anymore. Feel free to contact me for updates when I have forgotten this thread.

Comment

You know I will!

I have a diverse setup so any choice can be difficult for me. I have a dedicated server, three PC's, a Roku, one DLNA capable TV (LG), and an OTA DVR (TViX by DVICO).

The difficult thing is finding a single file format, directory structure, dlna/upnp server, and add-on files (cover art, movie info, etc) that can be handed by all the devices.

I would even pay for a suitable choice, but I haven't found one yet.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X