X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Full log files

Talk about a perfect storm....

I initially wanted to update flashplugin (which NEVER goes well the first time, but that's another topic). I installed, then uninstalled, then restarted (after that, I planned to reinstall the flashplugin-installer; this sequence is the most reliable way for my computer to take the flashplugin update). When I restarted, xorg wouldn't start. After a bit of drama, I had to remove the flashplugin-installer from the console for xorg to start. Thought that was good. I started firefox, but it failed to start. Figured I'd try rekonq, but it failed too. So, I uninstalled firefox from the console (apt-get remove firefox). Tried a quick reinstall and it's a good thing I was in console as it said the /var directory was completely full (turns out /dev/sda3 (root) was completely full). Well, the question is, what is the best way to clear out my log files and perhaps make the logging not quite so robust? I wasn't expecting 12G root directory to ever get full....

Thanks in advance,

Jimbo

Re: Full log files

Well, it normally wouldn't grow past 8Gb or so. However, the error that /var is full doesn't mean actually that unless /var is on it's own partition.

More likely, /tmp or /var/apt/cache is over-loaded.

If you want to prevernt this in the future, first figure out what exactly is over-loaded and what is causing it.

To find out folder sizes, open a konsole (or in cosole mode) and:

cd /
    sudo du -sm * | sort +0nr

Please Read Me

Comment

Re: Full log files

Hmmmm.... 1.3G in /var/cache/ alone...

You're right, /var resides on the same partition as /, which is sized to 12G. /var is at 6564M by itself. Of that, /var/cache is 1334M and /var/log is 4914M. To me, that is real big. My ufw and kern logs (multiple instances of each) are taking the majority of the space. I'm a bit lost as to why this is happening in the logs. I'm certain something isn't right, but my kungfu isn't strong enough to dissect a log file... help?

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Full log files

After some looking, I noticed the ufw logs grew in lock-step with the kern log..... I appear to have had my GUFW set to full logging. Deleted old logs and set the GUFW logging to low. That should do it.

Thanks for looking,

Jimbo

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Full log files

Also run sudo apt-get clean to clear the apt cache

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X