This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Kubuntu Backports

Is it safe to always have the Kubuntu Backports PPA active? I usually enable it when I see an update notice on Kubuntu.org, update using the PPA, and then disable it. I had it enabled full time once a long time ago and it ended up updating/removing packages that ended up breaking the system. I haven't left it enabled since then. Also (since I'm slightly paranoid) why else would it not be enabled by default? Instead they just tell you to add it to Software Sources every time.

Re: Kubuntu Backports

"Backports" are to allow a user of an older version to install packages from a newer release that are back-ported to work with the older release.

Generally, they are safe. You may be required to install more than one back-ported package to get something, but the devs usually handle that.

I have a server running 10.04.03 LTS but I wanted the newer kernels for a specific reason. Rather than doing a full-upgrade or starting my whole server install over again, I added the kernel backport PPA and installed the latest and greatest kernel, but nothing else.

I would think that enabling and then disabling a PPA is more likely to lead to a breakage than the other way around.

Please Read Me

Comment

Re: Kubuntu Backports

Okay thank you, I'll just leave them enabled

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Kubuntu Backports

Don't mean to hi-jack a thread, but thought it was relevant.

If I enable backports to upgrade to KDE 4.7, should I disable the kubuntu-ppa I enabled to install 4.6.5 or will they work together?

Thanks!
        Joe

Comment

IMO shouldn't matter because the package manager should select the newest version.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
            IMO shouldn't matter because the package manager should select the newest version.
            Ok, that makes sense .

Thanks!

Case Closed (AGAIN :-D)

Comment

Working...
            X