This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: flash and fonts

The locks shouldn't be remaining unless you're stopping apt-get mid-stream or it crashes.

Also, the re-beginning of the fonts being downloaded was the result your were hoping for - I hope you didn't cancel the download.

Please Read Me

Comment

OK, this is odd. I built virtual machines in VirtualBox of both Ubuntu and Kubuntu 11.04 32-bit using the LiveCD's. Both were configured the same - 1024 RAM and 4gb hard drives. Immediately, I discovered that Ubuntu would not install to a 4gb drive so I re-created it with a 6gb drive.

I did a regular no-special-options install on both and did not update either install. I did not add or remove any software. I used the command line on both machines.

Both Ubuntu and Kubuntu installed the mscorefonts package and fonts without a hitch.

Then - again on both machines - I purged the mscore fonts and fully updated, rebooted, and re-installed the fonts package - no other software.

Again - both systems worked perfectly.

Next, I tried this again on 64bit Kubuntu just as above and the results were the same.

The best I can guess is both of us have something installed that's conflicting somehow with the installer...

Please Read Me

Comment

I have just found a problem with mscorefonts on Kubuntu 10.04 netbook ... I am still using this on specific systems for user compatibility ... there are two packages available for download at the moment, "3.2" and "3.2ubuntu0.1" which acts as an update to "3.2"

"3.2" works OK and installs the fonts, "3.2ubuntu0.1" is a problem. It fails to install the fonts if used on its own, and depending on the machine, may uninstall the fonts from the first package and fail to re-install them ... or not, as the case may be.

On a 5-yr-old Advent QC 430, the fonts are not uninstalled by the update, but remain, so the failure to reinstall has no obvious effect. Likewise on a recent Acer Aspire One D255E, and a 7-yr-old custom desktop (don't have consist details to hand).

However, on a 3-yr-old Asus eeePC 1000H, where I am writing this, the later package uninstalls the fonts from the earlier one and fails to re-install.

Quite why the choice of machine affects a common install (actually 10.04.1) like this is ... interesting.

Since the "ttf-mscorefonts-installer 3.2ubuntu0.1" seems to be the package default with Kubuntu 10.10 and 11.04 (I have yet to check 11.10), it would appear that this package has a bug which may be the source of the problem reported by "oshunluvr"

My current solution is to uninstall the later package and reinstall the earlier one, and disable the update when it appears. I don't know if this option is available with 10.10 and 11.04.
        "You, sir are no gentleman!"
        "I knew there was something about me that I liked."
        Commander Vimes, Jingo, by Terry Pratchett

Linux User (# 368182) since 1996
        Unix initiated on SCO Xenix from 1992 <Pobody's nerfect>

Comment

Found something ... in the description of the "3.2ubuntu0.1" upgrade it says ...

"*Display the EULA for the fonts when installing the package. Do not
          fails the install if the EULA is not accepted, but instead do not
          download the fonts (LP: #670629)

-- Michael Vogt Fri, 03 Dec 2010 18:08:16 +0100"

Unfortunately, the EULA is not displayed on Kubuntu during the install process, so no acknowledgement can be provided ... presumably there would be a mechanism for a text window to open up for this to be done during a GUI install in Ubuntu ... but no such mechanism is operating with the GUI-based install in KDE4 in Kubuntu.

Hence the fonts install will always fail in Kubuntu.

Needs a fix.

Comment

Agreed, you should report that bug.

In the mean time - installing via the command line works.

Please Read Me

Comment

Never reported a bug on this system ... and its a long time since I reported a bug anywhere ... some initial brief advice on how to do so would be useful ... pretty please!

Comment

Oh ... and the peculiar font behaviour on different systems has an explanation. Some MS fonts ... Verdana, Comic Sans ... had been installed manually on some machines, these remained installed when the upgrade corefonts package removed the fonts from the initial corefonts package ... not sure why ... but it left the impression that all the corefonts had been left in situ, until I did a full check on the fonts databases.

I have now cleaned out the manually installed fonts and let the corefonts package do the job ... why have a dog and bark yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                  Agreed, you should report that bug.
                  Feel free ... login no longer exists on Launchpad and I just put my back out ... typing this is trying enough ... am going to lie down. Back shortly - ish.

Comment

Working...
                  X