This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to be part of the community

I've been posting like hell trying to fix problems on my 11.04. I was a hair away from bailing out of 11.04 because it's been pretty frustrating. Part of me was even considering saying screw it and going mac. But... I really like kubuntu & linux in general. I just fresh installed 11.04 ..again... I really like 11.04 and want it to succeed.

So, I'm going to try to be part of the community a little more. My time is really tight (as I'm sure most people's are - kids don't help) but I'm going to try to document my issues (and hopefully solutions) to my install problems on my Vostro 3400. Main issues are odd wireless and video card problems.

Anyway, hopefully you guys will consider helping me (as many of you have done in the past) through what I'm sure will be an extremely frustrating experience

Thanks for the help.

Re: Trying to be part of the community

As you probably know, reading from your post, the Kubu forums are very friendly, your input will be greatly appreciated and your questions will always be answered as best they can! SO POST AWAY!!

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by tweev
      Part of me was even considering saying screw it and going mac.
      The plan has merit, assuming you don't have the time patience to solve your own problems. I know from experience that Kubuntu doesn't work the same on every computer. IMHO if you can't get it working then noone should criticize you for trying.

So, I'm going to try to be part of the community a little more.
      Did you know Kubuntu has an IRC channel? If you can't get satisfaction here at KFN then maybe having a live person to chat with as you troubleshoot would be more effective.

I'm going to try to document my issues (and hopefully solutions) to my install problems on my Vostro 3400.
      Good idea. Be sure to carefully record all error messages and attempted solutions. It is always a good idea to Google error messages to find solutions which worked for others.
      Welcome newbies!
      Verify the ISO
      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Start by searching. 11.04 has been around awhile so a lot of issues have been sloved. Wireless problems are usually the fault of knetworkmanager.

I have a Vostro V13 that runs Kubuntu well and daily. My only issue was a keyboard/mouse confliction that I was able to find a workaround for.

Video card can usually be solved with the xorg-edgers ppa and the latest and greatest drivers.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks guys.

I'm hoping to put in a couple hours tonight.

Seems like things installed a bit better today.

Anyway i'll start searching and checking things off.

Wireless card (i think) crashing firefox
          sound (too quiet and some conflict)
          video (only motherboard card working); not working correctly with external monitor.

Besides that everything seems really great (which is pretty amazing).
          Thanks!

One quick question: A couple times when I've been trying to fix things, I do something and it totally kills my install (I think last time was installing some headers). What things should I AVOID so I don't do that again?

Comment

Well I tried and failed. I could never get the wireless to work right.

Just upgraded to 11.10 and it all seems to be working great!!!

YAY KUBUNTU!

It's nice to be back. I really hated uses windows 1/2 time, it was annoying.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
            Cheers.

Comment

Working...
            X