This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goodbye Natty (SOLVED)

I have been using Kubuntu for several years now, and never had too many problems, I upgraded for 10.04 to 11.04, and it is the worst O/S I have ever had, I can compare it with Windows Vista, too many problems and no support for the new motherboards, i.e. network, video, flash, to name a few. So this morning I went back to 10.04. I hope in the future that they do not release any new O/S unless they can fix all the things wrong with Natty. I will keep using Kubuntu as I love it, but I do like it to work. I took Natty off of both my laptop and desktop. I guess I will have to wait until the new LTS comes out, maybe they will have fixed all the problems with Natty.

I went into the BIOS and disabled the LAN port and now the wireless works, still there is a problem with the LAN port conflicting with the wireless.

Re: Goodbye Natty

All those things work just fine on all my old and new computers.

I'm using 11.04 and 10.04 on many computers. While I'd say installing 10.04 has often been easier, I only use it on older computers that I don't want or need the latest stuff on like my server and media devices so I'm not even installing a desktop in some cases.

KDE 4.6 using 2.6.38 kernel is way faster and more stable than 10.04 was on this particular computer. Fortunately, you can still use 10.04.

However, the problem I see is this: There is no "They" to fix things for you. No one is getting money from you so you can use this OS so no one owes you any support.

Linux is a community effort. The way things get fixed is through community support. That means reporting bugs, getting and giving advice on how to get things working, posting problems and successes to forums, etc.

If a particular piece of hardware you bought isn't working - complain to the manufacturer because they don't support linux. It's their fault, not Kubuntu developers - who are for the most part unpaid by anyone.

Maybe you should go buy a Vista disk set and install it and then call Microsoft and ask for help. Then you'll have a "they" to blame when things don't work they way you want.

Please Read Me

Comment

• 1. "never had too many problems"
      • 2. "upgraded for 10.04 to 11.04"
      • 3. "too many problems and no support for the new motherboards, i.e. network, video, flash, to name a few"

1. So, like many (but not all), some problems with earlier Kubuntu releases have been experienced, but we can (only) assume they were minor and overcome.

2. Upgrades from one release version to the next version are not guaranteed to go smoothly - there are simply to many unknowns in the equation. Was the earlier version 'fully updated' before the upgrade? Were any non-standard (third-party and/or ppa) repositories being used? Were any applications in the earlier Kubuntu version downloaded/installed 'manually' (not available from any of the in-use repositories)? Was the version of KDE 'the latest and fully updated' for the earlier version of Kubuntu? These are just a few of the 'complications' that can result in a less than successful Kubuntu version upgrade.

3. Proprietary hardware and their drivers will always present challenges. While one might desire the 'latest and greatest' in hardware, their development always precedes the OpenSource development of drivers to support them. It's the responsibility of the user of Kubuntu (or any Linux distro) to understand this simple fact when deciding on what hardware components to include in their system they are going to be running Linux on.

I'm sorry the OP had a bad experience with 11.04. It's likely that what ever they were, solutions exist that would have overcome all of them.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi Greygeek. you have helped me in the past, and I appreciate it. But the main problem is that the LAN port driver is connected to the wireless driver, so it works great if I am connected to the LAN, I see the wireless card in WICD and can use it, but it will not boot if the LAN is not connected, and there are many others that have the same problem with rtl8188ce wireless card in the laptop. When booting it freezes up if the LAN is not connected

Comment

From the Ubuntu forums:

Realtek has released a new set of rtl8188ce drivers for Kernel 2.6.35 and later (released on 26 July 2011).

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/dow...true#RTL8188CE

Follow the steps mentioned in the "readme" file. Hope that works for you.

Also, you may need to do this prior to running the above steps

1. Open a console
          2. Type sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`

You may not need this when there is a new kernel update in Ubuntu 11.04. But if it works now, and then doesn't work in the new kernel update, then you'd have to reinstall the drivers again. Possibly it'll be resolved in 11.10.

Please Read Me

Comment

If one installs the package dkms, you may not have to worry about module support when a new kernel comes down the pike.

Comment

Originally posted by 1richard
              Hi Greygeek. you have helped me in the past, and I appreciate it. But the main problem is that the LAN port driver is connected to the wireless driver, so it works great if I am connected to the LAN, I see the wireless card in WICD and can use it, but it will not boot if the LAN is not connected, and there are many others that have the same problem with rtl8188ce wireless card in the laptop. When booting it freezes up if the LAN is not connected
              Try answer #3 in this thread
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I did try the new driver, but it still freezes up on boot, if the LAN is disconnected, I do not need another desktop LOL screen is too small. I need a traveling computer that works Thanks everybody for the input, still not working, maybe someone can think of a way to make it work

Comment

Recompiling the kernel: http://www.truong.id.au/rtl8188su
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Wow! it is good to know that I was not the only one to think that the 11.04 release was a bad release compared to previous releases of kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by ronnowoy
                      Wow! it is good to know that I was not the only one to think that the 11.04 release was a bad release compared to previous releases of kubuntu.
                      No, you are just the one other person

Comment

Pthtttt!

There is nothing wrong with Natty - nothing. Of course, I say that because I have not had any issues with it.

But really. It simply is not fair to condem a Kubuntu release solely based on the fact that it gives one problems on the hardware they have.

It's an unfair comparison (IMO) that has it's roots in the how "it just works" mindset in Windows. Basing my comment on that premis, one must bear in mind that hardware manufactures pay Microsoft for the privilege of access to the "hooks" to Microsofts API's that allow their hardware to work with Windows.

Hardware manufacturers are concerned about their bottom line and the need to make a profit (and protect their intellectual property), so don't (readily) release as Open Source, their driver source code so Linux developers can write code that can use them. One also must bear in mind, that this reluctance is likely/probably/almost certainly tied to the fact that they (reluctantly?) entered into an an agreement with Microsoft that prevents them from doing so.

I personally am amazed at how much modern hardware is usable with Linux, which speaks volumes to the skill and determination of the Linux developers.

Go ahead. You build a Saturn rocket, that is fully functional, having only seen one take off from the launch pad, and only having access to pictures of what it looks like 'on the outside.'

Comment

Working...
                        X