This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop or Desktop or Other?

I was just curious about this. I see a lot of problem posts from what I believe are laptop users, but often can't tell for sure.

There are some topics which are mainly desktop, some mainly laptop, some apply to both.

I suspect most laptop users use wi-fi but not most desktop users - although I think this is getting more common. Most desktop users with multiple monitors only have to set-it-and-forget-it but laptop users with external monitors or docking stations will have to have a flexible approach to their xorg setup. I doubt there are many laptops with dual hard drives (at least bootable ones) but many desktops (most?) will have.
    Desktop
    33.33%
    Laptop
    0.00%
    Both
    66.67%
    Other
    0.00%
    Both and Other
    0.00%

Please Read Me

Re: Laptop or Desktop or Other?

Desktop and netbook.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Laptop, single core CPU, AMD GPU, Atheros wifi. Everything works 100 percent on every install, except for the ATI card, which is a hit and miss, due to the sorry power management of radeon and the sorry everything of fglrx.
      "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

desktop-10.04 & laptop-11.04

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I use a desktop I bought over 4 years ago (the one I have described below). In fact, I'll be getting a new chassis for this thing shortly. It still runs just as good under both Windows (Vista, then 7) and Linux (various flavors, settled on Kubuntu of course) as it did when I first got it, with a few modest upgrades hardware-wise. The only things not upgraded are memory, CPU and Motherboard.
          The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Laptop: Dell Inspiron N5010

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
              I was just curious about this. I see a lot of problem posts from what I believe are laptop users, but often can't tell for sure.
              Hi...

Not sure either, although I've experienced problems in both types.

Regards...
              Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
              How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
              PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

I run three different distros on my desktop, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Mint. On my old laptop, an HP DV1000, I run Ubuntu. The only hardware issue I had on the laptop when I first installed Kubuntu 8.04 a few years ago was getting the Broadcom wireless working. That is no longer a problem. No issues at all on the desktop. I only use the laptop when traveling to keep up with my email and forum postings. No heavy duty computing. So it still works just fine for that. I switched it to Gnome because KDE4 did not run well on it. I have also run XFCE on it quite well.

Comment

Laptop: HPG61, Sempron M100 single core, 64bit processor, 3 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD. So far every Linux distro I have thrown at it runs out of the box. Works ESPECIALLY well with Kubuntu
                  Kubuntu 20.04
                  HP Pavilion 17, 8GB DDR3, A10 APU w/ ATI Radeon HD 8650G

Comment

A Tecra S5 laptop of 3 years old, an HP mini netbook of 2 years old and an HP Pavilion Slimline of about 4 years old.
                    All work very well with Kubuntu 11.04.
                    And then there is this 12 y/o Packard Bell (made by DECT) with a 600 MHz PIII and 192 Mb of RAM, I set it up purely to function as a digital Picture Frame but for the heck of it installed the LXDE desktop and it is actually usable!

Comment

I have a Lenovo netbook S10-3s partitioned between Windows 7 starter and Kubuntu 11.04 I use Windows mostly for school work, as my school's OS is Windows. I use Kubuntu for everything else. The screen is different (netbook version) and that took a little getting used to, but once you get the setup it's easy to use. The only outstanding issue I have at this moment is that I can't get Flash to work, not even with Flash-Aid. My desktop uses an Intel core i3 processor, with 4 gb memory and a 500 gb hard disk. Windows 7 takes up half the partition, while the other half is shared between Kubuntu and Ubuntu, both 11.04 versions. Ubuntu has given me no trouble whatsoever since its installation. I've had a few minor glitches with Kubuntu, not necessarily related to the OS itself. I tend to use Kubuntu the most, although I like Ubuntu as well, even the Unity desktop. I haven't had any problems with Windows 7, either, by the way, but I still prefer to use Kubuntu, especially for its community support and relative ease of use.

Comment

I just did a fresh install on my older A31 thinkpad. It has a P4 2Ghz processor with 512 ram. Also has an ATI on-board video. Desktop effects are working fine and my wireless card is too. I had to install the thinkpad software using synaptic to get the powersaving working(which really is a non-issue). Other than that, everything worked out-of-the-box.

Comment

Laptop times two. While at home, I choose to use my wired connection.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Desktop at home, laptop when traveling.

Comment

I've used only a laptop since 2004. In August of 2008 I purchased this Sony VAIO VGN-FW140E notebook.

I've worn the lettering off several of the keys (it's lucky I am a touch typist or the keyboard would be useless), the CDROM gives erratic results burning audio CDs and LiveCDs, and the silver metal finish is wearing off the front bezel where the heels of my thumbs rest. I usually run it with AC power but when I am on battery it runs for about an hour and 45 minutes, down an hour from when it was new.

Because of these problems, and the fact that this netbook is now a generation old, I began looking at alternatives. My 4th Gen iPod Touch Xmas gift last year gave me some excellent experience with these products, and my son's 9.7" iPad experience taught me that such devices are not for me, and without a 3G connection, which I will not purchase because the data plans are extortionary, an Internet connection via a wifi connection outside your home is not guaranteed. I needed more power and fast connectivity, and I wasn't thrilled with finger prints on the screen, or dry fingers not being sensed well enough to trigger an event. Even the Acer A500, which got me excited at first, began to pale beside my wife's Acer Aspire One 521. The 521 had the 10" screen, but not touch, and it has 2 GB of RAM, a keyboard, 3 USB ports, and HDMI port, and a 250GB HD. That only thing the A500 has that the 521 didn't have were the Accelerometer, Gyroscope and Compass, but my Garmin works beautifully for that.

So, bottom line, when this Sony gets unreliable or goes belly up, I will be looking for a new Notebook, preferably one with a 16" diagonal and 1600X900 at a minimum.
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X