This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 11.04 sucks

I have never seen such a buggy release since Karmic Koala (9.10). I have lost user friendliness in the system settings for my touchpad settings by the taking away of the easy on/off toggle on the opening screen. The Kpackage Kit freezes and gives a error message of "The package list needs to be rebuilt.This should have been done by the backend automatically." I am unable to view embedded movies through "Kaffeine" in firefox 4.0.1 like I did in Kubuntu 10.10 under firefox 3.6.17. The "Maverick Meerkat" release was far more impressive and complete. I think it is a mistake for the Canonical team in their decision to take away a release candidate version from the distribution process. I would rather have the team take a month or so longer if it means to produce a better release. If they do here in their next release "OneiricOcelot" like what they have done here in this release then, I suggest strongly skipping both releases and wait until the long term version (12.04) comes out where greater care is taken. I am very disappointed with this new release (11.04). If Canonical wants for computer users to seriously consider using their desktop OS environment, they better start releasing high quality releases. Kubuntu 11.04- WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT!!!

Re: Kubuntu 11.04 sucks

Add insult to injury with this version, if you have a Nvidia video card, forget about upgrading to this version. If anyone does this then, it will crash your system.

>

Comment

I have to say that I have had none of the issues you mention. Apparently neither have most of the other users who are heaping praise on Kubuntu 11.04. With any distro there will always be users for whom it works perfectly, and others not so much. Sorry to hear that it just isn't working well on your system.
      Kubuntu 20.04
      HP Pavilion 17, 8GB DDR3, A10 APU w/ ATI Radeon HD 8650G

Comment

ronnowoy, why don't you share with us which nVidia card causes you trouble?

One of my laptops has a Quadro NVS 130M and all is fine, both on an upgrade and a new install.

Comment

@Teunis: I don't think the OP is looking for help...

Please Read Me

Comment

It just goes to show how much of a role hardware plays in the operation of any OS.

I moved from Mandriva to Karmic ALPHA in Feb of 2008 BECAUSE it was the best Linux I had ever run. EVERY release of Kubuntu since then has been rock solid on this hardware. I did have a video issue with Mandriva but Kubuntu cleared that up because it used the i915 instead of the i815 driver. My Lucid has been rock solid. I booted a LiveCD of Natty and it detected everything and ran like a champ.

Like you, others have reported different results. This forum is used primarily to supply help to fix problems. Few people log on here to praise Kubuntu. Traffic always increases shortly after a new release, leading some to the conclusion that "everyone" is having problems. Most are not.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
              @Teunis: I don't think the OP is looking for help...
              Agreed. Look at my SIG below. That's waht I'm running 11.04 on and it is Rock Solid. Kubuntu 11.04, What a Great Release! Love it!

Comment

I use 11.04 and I'm seriously considering reinstalling 10.10. I'm so tired of this release not booting
                properly. No matter how many times I re-install grub and update grub, I get to the kubuntu logo
                with the dots flashing and then it just stops on that screen and it's dead in it's tracks. The only way I can
                boot is by going through all the steps to reboot into a disk check, then it boots... once. Next time I restart, it's the same thing over again. This is the third time I've tried 11.01 and the third time this has happened.
                If I knew half as much now as I thought I knew then, I&#39;d know twice as <br />much as I do.

Comment

So are you looking for help?

Please Read Me

Comment

I don't think he's looking for help.

Comment

He would tell us about his video card/GPU, and his monitor, if he wanted help.

Comment

My video card is a Nvidia Gforce 7300GS, my monitor is a ViewSonic E655. I have this video card installed in a PCI slot (this is not off of the motherboard). When I upgrade to the new version, I cannot get to the OS environment. I am just stuck at the opening screen after logging in with my password. I upgraded my other computer (which is a compaq CQ62 laptop that uses a ATI video card) and I had no problems upgrading it but, I lose the ability to upgrade through KPackageKit. Some of the changes made in SystemSettings such as the new interface for the touchpad is not as user friendly. I have more crash screens show up. I find Kubuntu 10.10 a solid release with next to none of the problems that version 11.04 has. All that I know is, if the developers cannot get the problems concerning hardware drivers figured out from release to release then, many who use Microsoft Windows who are thinking about switching hear or have the same issues then, Kubuntu as well as Ubuntu will get a bad reputation as a OS. If the community wants to attract new users then, we had better figure out a way to get the video card manufacturers a way to be better able to support the Linux world or we will continue to be looking at a 1% market share.

Comment

lets start w/ the common issues that might cause this

0. BUrn a copy of the live cd are your problems present there? if not then move on if so then you might have a firmware issue (try a live debian cd w/o non-free frimware. see #3 if its firmware)

1. that machine has some broken packages? run (from recovery mode or a failsafe session) sudo dpkg --configure -a . this wil hopefully fix your broken packages. and you might be able to boot

2. if you have the properiatary driver for your video remove it. (use jockey-text from a cli to remove it

3. firmware issues ,, ms.siths laptop used to do the same thing why cause durring that login your changing a powerstate, the machine didn't like that and would hard lockup.. try disabling either ACPI in ur bios and/or remove the "linux-firmware-nonfree" package.

lets start w/ those basic things and see if that helps you at all .
                          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I did a full re-install of 10.10 and now everything works perfectly, the way it did before. I'm just a practical kind
                            of guy and I found it to be illogical to spend further hours trying to figure out how to make 11.04 work right for me
                            when even on it's best day isn't as good as 10.10. I love Kubuntu and will continue to use it, but not a version as buggy
                            as 11.04. I don't just blame Kubuntu though because kde 4.6 has serious problems and was nowhere near ready for release
                            when it was rammed down everyone's throat. 8)
                            If I knew half as much now as I thought I knew then, I&#39;d know twice as <br />much as I do.

Comment

im sorry for you problem my friend but i have had the exact opposite happen, i bought a brand new sony laptop e-series with an i5, i installed 10.10 and my hardware was way too new to find all the right drivers, sound, video, and wireless problems left and right. i worked hard and had a few work arounds from looking through the forums, and i kinda just put aside the issues for a while as i could web browse and skype, but i needed to reboot to windows to play any of my games even when they had linux releases. 11.04 released and low and behold, everythign worked out of box miraculousy, perfect video, audio, sound and wireless right out of box. all my hardware is working great including my bluetooth headset. I couldnt have been happier. why your distro for some reason for lack of a better term is backwards f****** you, i dont know. it makes me think something is wrong with your source media somehow.

Comment

Working...
                              X