This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The kdehelp searchbox

A couple of minor versions ago the searchbox was excised from kdehelp. It's gone in 11.04. The explanation was that it didn't work right and was hard to maintain. But to my mind, even a crippled searchbox is better than none, especially for a help facility. And apparently nobody wants to bother with bringing it back and making it work correctly.

What do others think about this situation?

Re: The kdehelp searchbox

Sorry to sound like a tool, but which or what searchbox exactly are you referring to?

Please Read Me

Comment

Are you referring to the KHelpCenter search box as shown here?
      Welcome newbies!
      Verify the ISO
      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Which searchbox?

The searchbox I'm referring to used to appear either next to or just above the Contents/Glossary tabs of kdehelp. Since it's not there any more, I can't tell you more than that. You may have to go back a few versions to see it. In fact, when I was running 10.10 I forced the version in order to get it, but whatever version I was using isn't shown in Natty.

Comment

Re: Which searchbox?

Originally posted by pwabrahams
          The searchbox I'm referring to used to appear either next to or just above the Contents/Glossary tabs of kdehelp.
          Sorry, but I don't know what this kdehelp thing is. I'll have to defer to those who know KDE 4 better than I
          Welcome newbies!
          Verify the ISO
          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

What is kdehelp?

kdehelp is the program that comes up when you click on the red and white striped lifesaver near the bottom of the K menu. If you're using the newer-style application launcher, it's at the bottom of the Applications list, but you have to scroll down to see it.

Comment

Sorry, on my install it's "KDE Help Center" - anyway, it appears you are correct that this function has been removed without comment (at least not that I could find).

It appears no one else has even noticed, which shows just how much the help center is used.

The closest I could come was to select the Table of Contents and then do a "find."

You should complain over at kde.org...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr

You should complain over at kde.org...
                Or more precisely a bug should be filed requesting to bring it back
                ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                X