This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11.04 ROCKs!!!

Subject says it all. This is the best I've ever seen both my systems perform. Don't get me wrong on the past incarnations they were good as well and never really gave me any issues at all but this one is REALLY solid. Even WINE for some apps works a lot better, even my favorite Flash programming tool now works in it.

Re: 11.04 ROCKs!!!

I'll have to agree with you 100%. So far I haven't had a single issue with 11.04. Even the proprietary driver for my ATI Radeon HD4200 card installed and works perfectly. On my other OS (the one 2nd to Ubuntu), I'm not able to install the proprietary driver and must use the open-source driver.
    Kubuntu 20.04
    HP Pavilion 17, 8GB DDR3, A10 APU w/ ATI Radeon HD 8650G

Comment

Originally posted by tdockery97
      So far I haven't had a single issue with 11.04.
      I've had just two problems, not being able to log out, the fix for which is a simple edit of a configuration file and occasional crashes when I update some of the desktop settings. Both are known problems and are well documented on the web. The second of those problems is actually being worked on!

Apart from that I can spend hours in front of this PC confident that it won't crash or produce any unexpected results. Last night I re-installed Ubuntu 10.04 onto my other hard drive, over-writing 11.04 and Unity in the process so I have full access to Gnome applications if I need them. But my main reason for posting and for switching to Kubuntu/KDE in the first place is that I find many of the KDE applications so much more comprehensive and stable than their Gnome counterparts. I'm still finding applications in Ubuntu 10.04 that won't run at all on my PC or crash as soon as you try to use a plug-in. And that one year after release. I can't say that I have found any applications with those sort of problems in Kubuntu 11.04 at all.

Comment

I can say that I had an issue with FireFox locking up the system. It is a known issue and since some updates yesterday I have not had that issue or any others! Rock Solid!

Comment

My two cents are that I've yet to have a problem that can't be blamed to my horrible ram[less then 1gig] about 11.04, and I'm happy I rolled up from 10.10 to it!

Originally posted by MoonRise
          I can say that I had an issue with FireFox locking up the system. It is a known issue...
          Though isn't that more of an issue with FF? I've seen FF lock up many computers across the operating system spectrum, so I don't think its exactly 11.04's fault..IMO
          Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

True, but some would liken it to be 11.04's fault. I don't and is why I stated, and probably could have more clearly, that the OS even though of FF's issue is still Rock Solid.

Comment

Happy to say that I couldn't agree more. Having become more than a little frustrated with the Unity interface, I decided it was do or die and jumped over to Kubuntu. I had tried it out over the last four or so releases but always found something was broken badly enough that I just saved myself the trouble and stayed with stock Ubuntu. KDE 4 has come a long way and so has Kubuntu. I'm not a very experienced KDE user, but I'm becoming quite comfortable with it in just the few weeks I've been running it. After fixing a minor issue with my laptop not wanting to suspend properly this release has been absolutely trouble free ever since.

Comment

10.04 worked well for me, 10.10 I could never get to install, 11.04 installed and worked excellent from the get-go.

Please Read Me

Comment

I rolled up from 10.10, and its better then 10.10 in all ways except my old computer system. Its starting to show its age especially when I tried the betaKDE4.7. I managed to fill up 95% of my 1.5gigs of swap in the space of 10 minutes, taxing my 992MB RAM at 60% otherwise. Which means if I want to continue using new Kubuntu, I'd have to double my swap partition to handle everything :P but that is not a big deal, I'll just shrink my already small Windows partition even more
                  Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

I've always liked KDE over Gnome because it's full of good resources that we use everyday. I never upgrade from a previous distro, I pick up a new hdd, install and afterall, when I get my system working the way that I want, I move documents. For me, 11.04 is a bless, everything I need is working and better than this, in last distro I didn't find a way to get effects working, now, it is working out of the box ! The only problem I had in the new install, was the sound server, then I reverted to alsa and My audigy 2ZS sound card works with everything. I'm using a dual screen setup, cairo dock, and a lot of ''eye candys'' that make a friend of mine, user of a MAC, give kubuntu a try in his MAC Intel. My work consists mainly in Blender, Gimp, Inkscape, Audacity, Libre Office (PT-BR), VLC, PDF generator, Wiki Editings, communications with Quassel, and AMSN, I also use Thunderbird for some Mail Boxes and lot's of other things, Gparted sometimes, In some machines, I also use SCSI HDDs that aren't recognized by Gnome installer, but I don't know why. Wine usage include 7-zip, VNC, My prefered game (Deus EX - I - GOTY ), Corel Draw 11 ( I Still have a license ), and some older Blender related software, like the older yafray raytracer.

My hardware as follows: Phenom 965BE, NVIDIA GTX 285 (One - 1920x1200 and one 1280 x 1024 through DVI), 8 GB RAM, Audigy 2ZS, MB M3A78-EM, Cooler Master Hyper 212, LG - BDR Recorder, 5 Notebook SATA HDD Black Scorpio 320GB, Silicon Sata 3132 Dual Port Raid Adapter, Scythe Fan Controller, and a 650W Thermaltake PSU, using Cooler Master Advanced KKN2.

Kubuntu Rocks !

Comment

Instead of making a new thread, I decided to bump this one.

I installed Natty due to graphic card issues thinking that the issue might go away with a different release. Well, I was wrong about the card but I liked Natty so much that after I killed my 1st install, I skipped the Lucid disk and installed Natty again. I was already aware of all the issues that my computer had and how to resolve them from the 1st install and I had it up and running with all my favorite programs within a day while I was multitasking like crazy.

I have to say I'm very impressed. I'm enjoying the new look and feel of it. It runs terrific! Great job!

Comment

I wish I could say the same. I really like the feel of it but my wireless issues are a real headache. Also, trying to get my external Dell monitor to work is not out of the box easy either. The Nvidia driver integration also needs some work.

Besides all that though, i really like it

Comment

Working...
                        X