This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Install/User

I just did a install on a A31 Thinkpad of the latest kubuntu. So far everything seems to be working,sound(volume buttons work) fine, wireless working(D-Link AirPlus). I have used KDE on other distros but had not tried kubuntu yet.

kudos to the kubuntu team!

-max

Re: New Install/User

Welcome to Kubuntu Linux (we like it) and KFN.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you!
      BTW is there synaptic in kubuntu? Seems I have a lot to learn......

Comment

Synaptic is not installed by default in Kubuntu (it's a Gnome package), but you can install it if you wish - many do. You can do so via KPackagekit, the default package manager in Kubuntu, or from the console with: sudo apt-get install synaptic.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Synaptic is not installed by default in Kubuntu (it's a Gnome package), but you can install it if you wish - many do. You can do so via KPackagekit, the default package manager in Kubuntu, or from the console with: sudo apt-get install synaptic.
          just to expand on the install part. use

[code=run in konsole]
          sudo apt-get --no-install-reccomends install synaptic
          [/code]
          to install only what synaptic needs (12mb worth of stuff)
          if you use the regular install command it installs its recommended stuff and you need somethign like 100mb of stuff.

you can also try muon the new package manager written in Qt if you don't want to install any gnome stuff.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

For what its worth, Kpackage kit is pretty nice. People say it has some drawbacks compared to Synaptic but it seems quick enough, and I kind of like that it won't prompt for your password until you actually choose to install something, rather than doing so at the beginning.

From standard, its set up to check for updates weekly, which you may want to change, depending on preference.

Comment

This is the first Kubuntu release where I didn't install Synaptic immediately. I'm trying to use kpackagekit exclusively.

So far, only one minor glitch - otherwise I'm on track with it. Now if can get knetworkmanager a bit further down the path....

Please Read Me

Comment

I agree oshunluvr. Usually the first thing I do with a KDE installation is add Synaptic. With this release I am having great performance from kpackagekit.
                Kubuntu 20.04
                HP Pavilion 17, 8GB DDR3, A10 APU w/ ATI Radeon HD 8650G

Comment

Working...
                X