This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphics question: new build & new to Kubuntu

Sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find an answer searching the forum.

I'm building a new computer and need to know whether I can use the Intel integrated graphics or would I need to install a dedicated graphics card with the current release of Kubuntu 11.04 (I'm downloading it as I write this post).

The build:

CPU: Intel i2500k
    MB: Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3
    RAM: 8 GB G Skills Ripjaws X
    HDD: 74 GB WD Raptor sata 10,000rpm

I could pull a video card out of my old computer, but I would rather use the Intel graphics if I can.

Re: Graphics question: new build & new to Kubuntu

Recent versions of the Intel driver have been pretty good -- there are few reports of problems with integrated Intel graphics.

Of course, the integrated graphics have nowhere near the horsepower to provide impressive performance on large monitors -- you need a discrete card with supporting video memory for that. So, you can build your system and try it out with the integrated graphics, and if "the cube", or perhaps Google Earth, is laggy and tears on turning, then you'll know it's time to pop for a real GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      Recent versions of the Intel driver have been pretty good -- there are few reports of problems with integrated Intel graphics.

Of course, the integrated graphics have nowhere near the horsepower to provide impressive performance on large monitors
      Thanks for the response. I've heard the intel graphics are fine if you don't play games etc.. I guess I'll find out. My main monitor is a 21" Samsung but I often hook up to my 37" tv. I do have a 256 mb Radeon 9600XT in my old computer which I could use but that's old technology.

I may have to splurge for a new card though..

Comment

The intel drivers have improved a lot over the last two years. For basic desktop functions, you'll be fine. For anything beyond that - you'll need the very latest kernel and xorg-server-intel to get good desktop effects. Heavy graphic lifting like games and google earth will be sketchy like dibl says.

The real answer to your question lies in the answer to "What are you planning on doing with your system?"

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
          The intel drivers have improved a lot over the last two years. For basic desktop functions, you'll be fine..

The real answer to your question lies in the answer to "What are you planning on doing with your system?"
          I've heard the integrated graphics are much better. I use the computer for basic office app's, internet browsing, basic photo and home video editing. I usually keep several programs open at a time though.

Comment

I doubt you'll have much problem with those apps and the integrated video. Even the video editing is more CPU and hard drive intensive than graphics intensive.

Do you self a favor though and spend some time researching your video driver setup to make sure you have all the best options and latest drivers installed. They release new xorg drivers from Intel quarterly and there are a lot of improvements with the 2.6.39 kernels.

The default install will not likely create an xorg.conf file so if you need to add tweaks you'll have to make one yourself (it's not hard). I would not install compiz or anything like that (you don't need it anyway) and I would work on the graphics setup before you start installing a bunch of other stuff.

Please Read Me

Comment

Well, I've got a partial answer. The new intel graphics appear to work just fine with the new Linux drivers. I don't know whether Kubuntu has these drivers installed by default because I could not get Kubuntu to install on my hard drive. I managed to get PCLinuxOS to install and the graphics work great.

I don't know why but Kubuntu would not format my hard drive (SATA drive with a Linux distro and Windows XP on it). I tried a number of times.. same result. If anyone else has experienced this and has a workaround please let me know.

Thanks for the responses.

Comment

I boot a Parted Magic USB stick to do the disk partitioning, in advance. Then I boot the Kubuntu "Alternate" installation CD or stick to install the OS. That approach gets around the idiosyncracies of the installer/partitioner on the Live CD.

Comment

Working...
                X