This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep /home on separate disk?

Hi all. I am about to build a new rig and I have a question (or two). I will initially be installing on a 1tb mechanical, but will be getting an SSD in the near future. I plan on putting /home on a separate partition anyways, but when I get the SSD, will it be possible to have the new install point to the /home on the 1tb?

Re: Keep /home on separate disk?

yes............ just a mater of editing /etc/fstab to point to the location of /home

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

There's an easier way.

When you install your new system on the SSD, install all of it there. Make a mount point, say /mnt/DATA, and mount the big hdd there with a mount line in /etc/fstab. Then you can use Dolphin in "kdesudo" mode, to make data folders on the big hdd, say "MUSIC", "DOCS", "PICS", "VIDEOS", etc. Next, change the permissions on these new folders to the group "users" and set it so that "users" can read and write. Or, if you're the only user of the computer, then just set yourself as the owner and group. Check the little box that says "apply to subdirectories and files".

Now, back to Dolphin in regular mode, you can split the window and drag the data folders from /mnt/DATA into your /home/hoahh folder, and choose "link here" from the drop menu.

Poof! You now have your data available in your home folder, but safely segregated from your Linux OS.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot.

Comment

IMO: The "easiest" way is to use the Manual tab during the partitioning part of the install.

Assuming you're installing the same version to to your mechanical drive and SSD, select manual partitioning and separate your /home partition when you install to your HD. Then when you do a new install to the new SSD, select manual partitioning again and just set /home as your already existing /home partition (no formatting of course!).

Will work like a charm...

I always pre-partition and format my drives before an install. Makes it a bit quicker install and less chance of a mistake IMO.

Please Read Me

Comment

Ok all. I'm all set up....but what gives? The default graphics settings are, well, let's just say not so great. I have had a bear of a time figuring out how to update NVidia drivers (still don't have the most recent installed. My graphics never looked this terrible on Ubuntu, and that was on a 8 year old laptop! Any help?

Comment

Start a new thread with an appropriate subject line and post details about what you're having trouble with/

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks. I started a new thread.

Comment

Working...
                X