This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11.04 internet connection

I have been trying to install 11.04 to my Lenovo netbook but I can't seem to get an internet connection, even when I type in the proper addresses on both ethernet and wireless connections. I cannot enable wireless by clicking on the box and the wired connection doesn't work either. I typed in the settings I use on my desktop and a laptop (for the wireless) so I expected it to work. For this reason I have not yet installed Kubuntu 11.04--without internet access, I have to use Windows 7 Starter. I've been using Kubuntu for almost two years now, and the internet connection has been the only sticking point. I've been able to solve the problems before, but don't know why I can't connect to internet using the 'trial' version or the install program. Any ideas on this?

Re: 11.04 internet connection

It's extremely rare for a Ububut/Kububtu install to not at least have an Ethernet connection.
    Lenovo is one of the brands known for good Linux compatibility so it should really work.

On the WIFI side I would recommend to install WICD and remove Networkmanager but you'd need some sort of network to get this going...

So open a terminal and use the command:
    Code:
    ifconfig -a
    This should give you an overview what the network setting you presently have.

This command:
    Code:
    lspci
    Will give insight in the hardware available.

When you copy the replies you can post them here for further advice.

Comment

Stick to getting the wired connection working. As Teunis stated, it's rare that Kubuntu, running from the LiveCD, would not detect and setup a wired ethernet connection. But it could happen if the ethernet hardware controller is proprietary. But even if that is the case, from the running LiveCD environment, you just need to go to System and click on Additional Drivers. If the result shows a driver/drivers detected, install/active them, and then test Internet connectivity. If you then have access to the Internet, you can do the installation of Kubuntu. When finished, and you reboot, check again System and Additional Drivers, as you might have to repeat the installation/activation of the proprietary driver/drivers. But once that is done, you're good to go.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks to both users who responded. I haven't tried either fix because I discovered what the problem was--the connection name. It was 'eth1' and I had typed something else. I changed it to eth1, and now the installation is almost finished. Thanks again. PROBLEM SOLVED.

Comment

I'm also having trouble connecting through my router, though it works when connected directly to the modem. I don't where to look for configuration possibilities; any suggestions? I tried what Snowhog recommended but there were no additional drivers to install. I'm appending the output of "ifconfig -a" and "lspci" in case that helps. Pointers would be appreciated!

- ced

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ifconfig -a
          eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr e8:9a:8f:31:00:9e
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:43 Base address:0x6000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
          RX packets:162 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:162 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:11668 (11.6 KB) TX bytes:11668 (11.6 KB)

wlan1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 68:a3:c4:d5:76:b3
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lspci
          00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation N10 Family DMI Bridge
          00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller
          00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller
          00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
          00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
          00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
          00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
          00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
          00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
          00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
          00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
          00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
          00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation NM10 Family LPC Controller (rev 02)
          00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
          00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
          01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 05)
          02:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
          03:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 5209 (rev 01)
          Kubuntu #19517 (but of course I am not a number, I am a free man!)

Comment

Router issues usually begin by checking the route first to be sure one exists.

Open a terminal and type

route -n

this should give you output like:
            Code:
            Kernel IP routing table
            Destination   Gateway     Genmask     Flags Metric Ref  Use Iface
            192.168.1.0   0.0.0.0     255.255.255.0  U   0   0    0 bond0
            169.254.0.0   0.0.0.0     255.255.0.0   U   1000  0    0 bond0
            0.0.0.0     192.168.1.1   0.0.0.0     UG  100  0    0 bond0
            although expect different numbers. The last line shows my gateway of 192.168.1.1 which is the IP address of my router. If you don't have a route to the router, no internet. Also, check the contents of /etc/resolv.conf. If you're still using KNetworkManager, it may be empty. Post back your findings.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, sorry I didn't reply sooner! School and practicum are starting and life is hectic.

Long story short, I finally bought a wireless router and tried to hook it into the network behind the wired router, using the wireless as an access point and a switch but turning off the router. I eventually got that setup working, which involved resetting the wired router to factory defaults several more times. Somewhere in the middle of that sequence, I wasn't testing every time, the wire started working fine whether I plugged it into the desktop or the netbook. Weird, but there it is. It works now and that's all I need.

Thanks again!
              Kubuntu #19517 (but of course I am not a number, I am a free man!)

Comment

Working...
              X