This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation problems with nVidia geforce 210 video card

I installed 11.04, then my video card died, and I put in a new GeForce 210 card. Then I couldn't boot to Kubuntu. Then I wiped the disk and tried to start all over again, but the live CD (desktop AMD64) would not install. It stops right after I select the install option. I have used the F6 "nomodeset" option without any change in the results. So unless I get some assistance from somewhere, I can't even try 11.04 because the live CD will not load up properly. Any help out there? Thanks for listening!

Re: Installation problems with nVidia geforce 210 video card

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'm sure that someone will drop by with better information about how to do a graphics install from CLI but thought I'd say hi and make a suggestion which probably wouldn't work.

I see that the nVidia site does have a Linux driver for the card,

Can we assume that you had the nvidia x driver app in applications/settings?

It might be that if nobody offers a better option, you might cumshaw a lower end card from somebody and download the installer and then maybe just go to the site and install the driver for the new card so that it would be available on a reboot with the newer card, don't know.

But, again, welcome and check back because I'm sure someone with some CLI info or something will be along.

woodsmoke

sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Re: Installation problems with nVidia geforce 210 video card

Well, I guess there is very little interest in this topic on this forum site. I can't understand why there isn't more interest, however, because I just solved the problem by replacing my Sparkle GeForce 210 video card with a Sapphire Radeon 4670 card. Works like a champ. So someone, either in the Kubuntu development team, or the Grub2 development team, has caused a whole category of users to be unable to enjoy the live CD Kubuntu experience. It does look like the developers could make this distro accessible to everyone, even if they did have to give up a fancy splash screen or two. This has been a recurring theme in Linux history, and it really makes it difficult to recruit new Linux converts from casual Windows users when they encounter such a show stopper as this. And even if there is a work-around, which I have not yet found, it almost certainly will not be very user-friendly.
      Maybe I will spread this word in other corners of cyberland also. I can now at least file an official bug report.

Comment

Working...
      X