Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 11.04 strange process with root rights?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 11.04 strange process with root rights?

I have some strange problems with VLC sometimes freezing, so i started system monitor to see what was going on and noticed a whole boatload of process with root rights running? What is up with those? Something called getty, al whole lot of kworker/2:1 kworker/3:0 etc about 80+ i counted?! Am i invaded? Help? Yeah i know probably a noob question, but any tips or help will really be appreciated!

Re: Kubuntu 11.04 strange process with root rights?

getty is spawning your tty sessions (terminals) that you can access by CRTL-ALT-F1 to F6. There are 6 by default. You can reduce them if you want but once launched they don't take much memory or cpu.

kworker is an active kernel thread. That many seems unusual but could be normal (because you have a lot of stuff running) or it could be a bug.

For comparasion, I have 15 running as I type.

I suggest updating your kernel to the latest if you haven't already and rebooting to see if they reduce at all. If you're already at the latest, install the previous version and boot to that one. This may eliminate the kernel as a source of the problem.

Please Read Me

Comment

Another thing to try is to open a Konsole window and run "top", and place this window where you can watch it. Then run your VLC movie or whatever you are doing with it. At the moment of the freeze, look at the top window and see which process is consuming the most CPU resources. It may have nothing to do with the root processes -- it could be an xorg issue or maybe your browser.

Comment

This started to happen after the last update, so it may be the new kernel that is causing this, after the update i seem to have less crashes of VLC then i used to have (before you ask, i use VLC because dragon gives tearing problems on my NVidia card, and SMPlayer does weird things with the sound :-( ), so it is a gamble how to go further.. Ah well, 11.10 just around the corner, lets wait and see if that solves anything. Glad to hear that the kworker thingamejig is not another user on the system ;-) started to feel paranoid, specially after the last VLC fool-up when a simple reboot request by menu gave a 'VLC cancelled the reboot request' WTH, it is not suppose to cancel anything! It just needs to play Video GRR..

Comment

Yeah, great idea using TOP, i give it a try, and if anything turns up, i post it :-) Thanks!

Comment

I never have been happy with Dragon and always install VLC right away. I'm with dibl in that the VLC issue is likely unrelated to the kworker threads. I have no problems with VLC using my nvidia setup, so likely there's some work we can do for you there.

Try the previous kernel, than start a thread about VLC - or as you suggest, lets get together after the 15th and complain about Oneric! lol

Please Read Me

Comment

Since crash in-betweens have stretched to 13 days now, i think i will gamble and wait for the new release, although i can always install current beta, and see how that pans out ;-) As a refuge from Ubuntu (hate the new Unity thing) i must say that i hope the whole upgrade process goes just as smooth as i was used to :-)

Comment

Working...
              X