This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win2K a no-show in Grub after Kubuntu 11.04 first install on old system

I just installed Kub 11.04 on 866MHz, 500MB 10 year old system. There are two drives. I left the 2nd (Win2K E as a place for storing backup images of the Win2K with DriveImage 7.
    I made a clonezilla image of the Win2K C: drive a couple weeks back. So if I have a disaster I could restore the clonzilla image and then replace it with Friday's DriveImage 7 backup.
    But you know I don't want to do that and if I need to I want to be successful on a 2nd try at dual-boot.

I modified etc/default/grub so I have a "#" now in #grub_hidden-timeout=0 so I can see the boot screen and to my horror Win2K is a no-show.
    Is there a way of fixing that?

I used Kub i386 ISO and chose the "manual" partition option for the 80MB C: drive. I changed sda so the first 40 MB became sda1 primary, first, "do not use" assuming that is where Win2K is (should I have used a partition manager first?)
    I made another 37999 sda5 formatted ext3 with / mount point and another 1998 swap.

Suggestions appreciated.
    Neon 18.04.1 User on desktop and on Asus Transformer 3 Pro laptop

Re: Win2K a no-show in Grub after Kubuntu 11.04 first install on old system

I am looking for any suggestions for my next try at dual-boot, e.g., on repartitioning first, etc. as after trying to mount sda1 as ntfs without success ("NTFS signature missing, not valid as NTFS"), I am running Clonezilla now, overwriting sda (restoring Win2K's C: drive).

Comment

My next install went well, but first I had to recover as best I could.
      That Clonezilla image was months back it turns out. When I restored the Win2K image with Clonezilla, it did not find grub but noticed an NTFS boot partition and adjusted the filesystem geometry for it and ran ntfsfixboot so it may have fixed part of the reason kubuntu install failed to find Win2K.
      My DI7 backup could not be simply restored because a DI7 CD was required; when I bought DI7, I downloaded it. So I had to recover files newer than the Clonzilla months old backup from the DI7 backup browser.

So before I tried again, I did a fresh Clonezilla backup.
      Then I used the KDE Partition Manager in the Kubuntu 11.04 live CD--as recommended by several others. It has a great GUI. I divided the space on sda. It seems the Clonezilla restore had fixed the boot record issue so Kubuntu recognized Win2K.

I did the actual install with the Alternative Kubuntu 11.04 disk, but most likely the live CD would have worked this time also.

Comment

If you're using two hd's and windows is on one of them and grub on the other - you can just chainload to the other drive. Takes a few seconds longer to boot, but usually works.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X