This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Kubuntu don't remember my resolution

Hi folks! I've been flirting with Kubuntu these days (normally I'm an Ubuntu user), but I've experienced a couple of annoying bugs that I need to sort out if I'm ever going to become a full time Kubuntu user.

1. I've got integrated Nvidia graphics and I use an old-fashioned CRT-monitor. However the default resolution is set to 1600*1200, which is way too much for my monitor. (1024*768 is what I use.)
    Of course it is possible to change my resolution through the preferences, but Kubuntu never remembers my resolution, and I have to change the resolution manually every time I reboot. Pretty much all distros I've tried at first set my resolution too high, but Kubuntu is the only distro that refuses to remember my choice afterwards.

2. Another annoying bug: When you do lower your resolution to 1024*768, the system icons that can be found in the right corner of the bottom panel, disappears. I've encountered this problem in 10.10 as well as in 11.04.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Re: Kubuntu don't remember my resolution

I've searched this forum for answers and have been messing around a little on my own.
    I tried to:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup
    and added the line:

Code:
    xrandr --output default --mode 1280x1024
    But, alas, it still wouldn't work. So then I came across another suggestion. I booted into the recovery root-shell mode, and ran
    Code:
    Xorg -configure
    This didn't work either:
    number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
    Configuration failed.
    (I've only got one screen)

Any suggestions?

Comment

I gather that you are not using the proprietary Nvidia driver? If I got that right, then probably you need a modeline in the xorg.conf file. Here's some details on that: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...5873#msg245873

Also the "Top 20" link in my signature has other tidbits that may be helpful with Kubuntu.

Comment

I'm just a newbie, but my kubuntu wouldn't remember my wallpaper. All I had to do was lock the widgets and that fixed my problem. It might work for yours too.

Comment

As I'm using partly the same hardware as you , nVidia-graphics and also still using a CRT monitor (still functioning very well and I like the colours...) , I was encountering the same problems as you mentioned. And solved them both.

Until a couple of years agoo “Linux...” was famous for it's support of “old” hardware. I 've got the feeling that 'at Kubuntu' they 're now to implement new possibilties 'as soon as possible and also cut some “old stuff” rather quickly.
          I'm running Kubuntu already for years, started with version 9.10. Running 11.04 now ,but it was impossible for me to install 11.04 from an image/ cd as I 've done up to 10.10.
          Had to install 10.10 first and then do a online-update. Still don't no the reason why....
          Could be also because of the CRT....
          But enough of the philosofiïng here, let's get practical...

At the mentioned point 1: Make Kubuntu remember the wanted resolution. The point is you have edit a file that is (partly) responsible for the behavior of your graphical environment. This file is xorg.conf.
          First I suggest you install the nVidia driver. (K-menu, Program 's, System, Extra drivers.)
          This comes with some helpful utilities. Helpful for us is there is also some software inside that can help us build the xorg-conf file. Some people don't want to install any prop. software at all and that is fine too. But in that case you have to do more hand/ typework to build the xorg.conf. So post back wich way you wanna go, then we can continue from there.

At the mentioned point 2: Not visible “systemtray”. Click right on an empty piece in the panel , go to “Panel-options”, click left “Panel-settings”, click-left “More settings” Now you see some options under “Panel outlining” (or something like that, I've translated it because I'm not a user of an english version of Kub.) Standard is selected “Left”, Left-click on “Middle” Now you've got some handles in the middle and on the ends of the panel where you can manipulate the length and the position of the panel with. With a little fiddling you can get the systemtray in sight. Another possibility is to put the panel on the left or right side of the screen. There the 'systemtray' apears immediately. ( Click right on an empty piece in the panel , go to “Panel-options”, click left “Panel-settings”, go to “Screen-edge” )
          Succes.

(Let's be not too serious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03lrkGir-DE)

Comment

Originally posted by TangleCrow
            I've searched this forum for answers and have been messing around a little on my own.
            I tried to:

Code:
            sudo nano /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup
            and added the line:

Code:
            xrandr --output default --mode 1280x1024
            But, alas, it still wouldn't work.
            you should try the xrandr command in the terminal before you add it to you Xsetup . that command does not work to begin with..

you should try..
            xrandr -s 1024x768 (or what ever res you want)
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I added
              Code:
              xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1024x768 --rate 85
              to /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup

I suspect this is a dirty solution, but it worked! And I was also able to bring the system tray back,
              after doing what ManGO suggested and fiddling quite a bit around with the bottom panel.

Regarding installing Nvidia drivers... I'm a bit ambivalent towards them. I think the “Experimental support for Nvidia cards” is a big improvement. I'm not usually gaming, so I think the NOUVEAU drivers will do for now. And for some reason, when I previously have installed the Nvidia drivers in Kubuntu, a 85mhz refresh rate hasn't been available for 1024*768. (At least not under the system settings/monitor.)

A final question: Has making a xorg-conf file either by installing the Nvidia drivers, or by writing one by hand any advantages over this quick and dirty solution outlined above? (I found it in another thread.)

Thanks to all you guys who contributed to this thread.

Comment

thats a fine solution. its not dirty at all.. if you have the open-source drivers this is the perfered way

if no Xorg.conf is found try to bring up the xserver w/ the monitors default. This only works if you don't have a propertary driver installed.

IF you use the nvidia driver or the ati driver you need to have the xorg.conf file to tell xorg how it should bring up the display (and what driver to use)

not all modes will have the same refresh opitons.
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Ahem... A little unrelated question: How do you mark your thread as solved
                  on this forum?

Comment

return to you first post, edit, add <Solved> (or whatever) to the subject.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                      return to you first post, edit, add <Solved> (or whatever) to the subject.
                      Hmmmm.... That's certainly an unorthodox way of marking your thread as solved!

Well, well. Cheers anyway!

Comment

This didn't work for me. My monitor will only support 1024x768 but X auto configures to 1280x1024 every time the system boots up and I can find to way to bind it to the correct resolution. There is no xorg.conf file. I'm not sure which driver I'm using but the computer is a Dell, Dimension 2400 and it's using whichever driver was installed from the Kubuntu 12.04 LTS live CD (I've made no changes). Here's the contents of the Xsetup file:

---
                        #! /bin/sh
                        # Xsetup - run as root before the login dialog appears

#xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0 -notify -verbose -fn fixed -exitOnFail -file /dev/xconsole &

/sbin/initctl -q emit login-session-start DISPLAY_MANAGER=kdm

# The following was appended in an attempt to fix the display resolution to that supported by the monitor.

xrandr --output VGA-1 --mode 1024x768 --rate 60
                        ---

Comment

Working...
                        X