Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving files on server / NFS mounts using Dolphin - How does this happen?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Moving files on server / NFS mounts using Dolphin - How does this happen?

I guess I'm just stuck on the concept that since mv DOESN'T actually, physically move a file from one place to another (when we're talking about oshun's original scenario), everything would take place on the remote drive. But, apparently, that's incorrect.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu
      I guess I'm just stuck on the concept that since mv DOESN'T actually, physically move a file from one place to another (when we're talking about oshun's original scenario), everything would take place on the remote drive. But, apparently, that's incorrect.
      Copying is different from moving, since copying always requires duplication of the data (as does moving when you're not moving within the filesystem).

@oshunluvr
      Your test description wasn't immediately clear to me, where you copying within a single mount or between two mounts?

Comment

On the server: two different mounted partitions
        On the client: same two partitions as above, mounted via nfs as a single mount.

I didn't want to leave this distinction hanging...
        ...a finer point on mv - moving will require a duplication of data IF the target is not on the same file system as the source. If source and target are on the same file system, no data is transferred - just meta data.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
          Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu
          Copying is different from moving, since copying always requires duplication of the data (as does moving when you're not moving within the filesystem).
          Yes, I know that--and oshun's OP says: "I was moving some files..."

Originally posted by oshunluvr
          ...a finer point on mv - moving will require a duplication of data IF the target is not on the same file system as the source. If source and target are on the same file system, no data is transferred - just meta data.
          Right, but, again, your OP implied that the files were on and being moved to the same file system.
          Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Yeah Steve, you got it. So I suppose then a temp file is created on the client, thus the doubling of time?
            Possibly...largely depends on the internals of the copy command and how it buffers (or in some cases double-buffers). In your second test, where you issued the command from a network-attached client, the data travels over the network twice.

On the server: two different mounted partitions
            On the client: same two partitions as above, mounted via nfs as a single mount.

An interesting test would be to mv a file from one location to another on the same partition, but issue the command from the client rather than being ssh'ed into the server.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
              An interesting test would be to mv a file from one location to another on the same partition, but issue the command from the client rather than being ssh'ed into the server.
              If you run move or copy on a single file system, I would suspect there will be no difference between local and remote operations (copy will take longer than move, of course). I don't use NFS (I do everything via ssh), but I would really be surprised if there was data moving on the network (not saying it doesn't happen, just that I would be surprised ).

EDIT: I'll take that a back a bit, I would be really surprised if move transfers data over the network, I would be only slightly surprised if copy transfers files over the network. Does NFS come with server side copy?

EDIT2: I'll answer my own question:
              http://nfsv4bat.org/Documents/Connec...-copy-spec.pdf

Comment

mv works as expected using dolphin on the share. In other words - quick as a flash if on the same file system.

All of the operations I was doing were cross-file system.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X