Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone connected to wireless networks using WPA2 Enterprise security?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone connected to wireless networks using WPA2 Enterprise security?

I'm trying to connect my netbook to the school's wireless net that uses Enterprise-level WPA2 security. It fails looking for /usr/bin/nm-applet, which a bit of googling shows is the Gnome applet for Network Manager, so I don't have it. Is there a way around this short of dual- (or in my case triple-) booting into Ubuntu at school and Kubuntu at home? I've looked at the previous post (http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3114634.0) on the subject, but it feels a bit drastic to be removing so much that seems to be more or less standard with KDE. I was hoping to stay closer to the standard distro. Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding...
    Kubuntu #19517 (but of course I am not a number, I am a free man!)

Re: Has anyone connected to wireless networks using WPA2 Enterprise security?

Bottom line: The developer of KDE Network Manager is clueless to the fact that it doesn't work. The Gnome network manager works.

Most of us here who use KDE, include among the first steps we take during a new install, the complete removal of KDE Network Manager and install WICD in it's place.

WICD works very well and doesn't require the installation of Gnome to work, as in that post you referenced.

Please Read Me

Comment

i use WPA2 for all my wireless networks (ill have to check the mode) the one thing you will want to be sure of for the network manager is that you have the various options set correctly. in some instances i've seen the network manager fail to predict them correctly when it throws up the connection dialog.

i only use knm on my kde machines.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
        i use WPA2 for all my wireless networks (ill have to check the mode)...
        Unless your wireless networks run an authentication server you're not doing WPA2 Enterprise
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

I have no problem connecting to my WPA2 Personal wireless net at home. It's only the Enterprise level at school that fails looking for nm-applet.

I suppose I'll have to try wicd once I finish this statistics homework...

Comment

Originally posted by cdupree
            I have no problem connecting to my WPA2 Personal wireless net at home. It's only the Enterprise level at school that fails looking for nm-applet.
            Where did you put the certificate for network authentication?

I don't use networkmanager but if the network certificate is installed in the proper location and the tickbox for "use system certificate" is checked the thing should connect.

The cert needs to be copied to /etc/ssl/certs and then installed, then networkmanager needs to be configured to use the certificate.
            -- anais nin

Comment

Okay, I've now followed the instructions at

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...3415#msg263415

to install the wicd-related packages and remove the knetwork-related ones, reboot, run sudo apt-get autoremove, and for good measure I rebooted again. With wicd I can connect my netbook via ethernet cable but it won't connect to the wireless net unless I broadcast the ESSID. As soon as I turn on the name broadcast and hit Connect, the netbook finds and connects to the wireless net. But all I have to do is turn off that broadcast at the router and immediately the netbook loses connection.

Have I done something wrong in the conversion to wicd? Has anyone had a similar problem? As background, knetwork-manager was running fine on my WPA2 home wireless but didn't connect to the WPA2 Enterprise at school, which is why I'm trying wicd.

Comment

Off topic, but there's absolutely no advantage to hiding an SSID - all it does is instill a false sense of security. MAC filtering has the same problem. Anybody who's savvy enough to hop onto your network can sniff your SSID and MAC address out of the air even if you don't broadcast the SSID.

For all practical purposes WPA2 is uncrackable given the current level of technology. If your WPA key has at least seven random mixed-case characters you're also pretty much immune to dictionary attacks as well.

On topic, the only way I've been able to connect to hidden networks is by scripting wpa_supplicant to make the connection - neither knetworkmanager nor wicd works real well for this.

-- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
                  For all practical purposes WPA2 is uncrackable given the current level of technology. If your WPA key has at least seven random mixed-case characters you're also pretty much immune to dictionary attacks as well.
                  Even WPA2-PSK networks can be compromised if the key is short and an attacker is using pre-computed rainbow tables. Plus don't forget the work Elcomsoft (and others) have put into using GPUs to brute-force keys.

For both these reasons, I tend to prefer length over complexity. KXCD expresses this well...

[img width=400 height=324]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/password_strength.png[/img]

Comment

Well, thanks to all for the comments and suggestions, but I installed wicd and it makes things worse at school, though it works fine at home.

It turns out the school uses tools from a third party for students to connect to the wireless net, and those tools depend on network-manager and gnome-keyring, the latter as I understand it deprecated in the current release. So I guess I'll have to try a different method, either installing Ubuntu on the other partition or sucking it up and using the existing Windows 7 muck.

I appreciate all the help and comments!

Comment

Working...
                    X