This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing wireless connection on Kubuntu

Ok guys, my laptop is connected to a router via wi-fi. I want to create an access point from it in order to make a desktop located too far away from the router to be able to connect too. So, how can I share a wireless connection via wi-fi? The ethernet cable solution is not an option, nor buying a repeater. Any ideas?

Re: Sharing wireless connection on Kubuntu

Sorry AFAIK, a laptop wifi card can't be both a connection and a bridge and you've eliminated your only other solutions.

Please Read Me

Comment

Before the 2.6.32 kernel what you wanted to do wasn't possible. And, some wifi devices won't allow it.

However, if you qualify, you can use see in the attached graphic how to do it with wicd. Start with a wireless connection, but make sure the "auto wired connection" is not checked. Plug in the second computer to the Eth0 port. Then click the "Network" menu item on the wicd dialog and choose "create ad-hoc network". Make sure to check the "activate the connection" checkbox. That installs the Masquerading which allows two or more computers to use the same connection.
      Attached Files
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Oh man, I thought users would follow their own posts by default...
        Anyway, I'll try that.
        Thanks.

Comment

You know what? It didn't work...
          Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I've tried with wicd and with network manager itself.
          My best result was the following: I was able to create a network, but it had the same range that the one I was already connect, so it couldn't be used by the desktop. Still, I tested it with another laptop and it could actually connected to it, but this second laptop had no internet connection.
          Could you please be more detailed about how to config the network ? Thanks for your time and help.

PD: I don't know about if my wi-fi device "qualifies" or not. However, I was able to share a wireless connection via wi-fi with connectify-me app when I was still using Windows with this same machine.

Comment

I could be a firewall problem, or your AP computer didn't have port forwarding (NAT Masquerading) set, or both. You can Google the term for help from several pages, like this one,
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X