This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wireless becomes disabled when on battery power

Okay, I decided it was time to give WICD a try. I have followed the details in this post by Teunis http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...9436#msg269436 very closely. I made sure that I have gotten rid of KDE Network Manager (knm-runtime and network-manager-kde) stuff and installed WICD including wicd-kde, wicd-deamon, python-wicd and wicd metapackage. I rebooted. WICD started up and appeared in the panel. My network was detected without any problem. However, after spending some time trying to connect it declares that my pass-key is incorrect. I've tried a number of times with the same result. This is of course the pass-key that is working to wirelessly connect a number of devices to my router without any problem. And it worked with the KDE Network Manager. What am I missing here?

EDIT: I did some more digging around in other threads and found that some more remaining snippets of the network-manager were probably the problem. I thought I had gotten everything. I purged them, restarted and WICD connected automatically. So, the wireless is good now.

Now I just have to see if this is going to help when the laptop power cord is disconnected. I'll fool with that tomorrow.

Comment

I've been on the laptop using battery power while browsing around the Internet for about 2 1/2 hours. I've even watched a couple YouTube videos. I've had no wireless slow downs or desktop lockups. So, it seems that switching to WICD has done something good. I think the combination of changing Power Manager settings and installing WICD may have cured my problem. But I need to test it out over the next week or so to be sure. I'll post if any problems show up.

Thanks for all the guidance.

Comment

In your honor I also changed to WICD one of my laptops. All my mysterious networking problems went away.

I saw the lead developer of KDE Network Manager post on a blog (in response to a review of Kubuntu that included a comment that his program didn't work well) that as far as he knew, there wasn't anything wrong with it. Talk about clueless. With that sort of engineering blindness at the helm, I doubt KNetworkManager will ever work. Thank goodness it's linux and we can install whatever we want!

Please Read Me

Comment

I've been using WICD for quite some time and originally it was out of need, knetworkmanager just wouldn't work for me with WPA security.

But since the present 11.04 release I've on the same hardware finally and without trouble been able to use the knm network management.

And although it is prettier than WICD I still feel WICD gives me better control over the various network settings.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
            Thank goodness it's linux and we can install whatever we want!
            Absolutely! Isn't that why we're all here?

Comment

Working...
            X