This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XPS M1710 with Intel 3945 wireless... disabled

My wife's laptop currently running Ubuntu with Gnome and everything works. It's still running Dapper though I think and I want to upgrade her. I just recently switched from Ubuntu to Kubuntu (11.04) and I really like it.

I booted her laptop from a bootable USB stick to test Kubuntu. It boots up fine, but the wireless won't "enable". Wired networking works fine. The XPS M1710 doesn't have a hardware switch to turn WiFi on and off. Instead it uses a function key. If I toggle it, Kubuntu notification pops up telling me wireless is enabled but then almost immediately pops another notification that wireless is disabled. Shows the driver as iwl3945 if I click on the networking tray icon.

How do I get it to stay enabled?

thanks,

Re: XPS M1710 with Intel 3945 wireless... disabled

This is an old bug involving firmware and the rf_kill switch.

Try this in a terminal:

echo 0 > /sys/class/net/wlan0/device/rf_kill

and see if it makes any difference. If you get it to come on - leeave it on and reboot. It shoudl stay up after that. If you feel you need to toggle it on and off you're going to have to look for a fix.

Please Read Me

Comment

/sys/class/net/wlan0/device/rf_kill does not exist in natty.
      Try this:
      sudo rfkill unblock all

Comment

I made a new USB stick. I started wondering if something had been set in the persistant area from me using that USB stick to install Kubuntu on my computer which has no wireless. I booted with the new USB stick and the wireless card was alive and it had already scanned and found the wireless network.

So for whatever reason it is now working. She tends to leave her laptop on all the time. So tomorrow while she's at work I'm going to boot it from the USB stick again and get into Kubuntu and let it sit to make sure it wakes up properly and everything works. I also want to check on her GPU temp some how as her laptop has a 512MB nVidia card in it and I've been hearing there are issues with nVidia cards in Kubuntu 11.04. It seemed fine, but I don't want to back it up, reinstall and then find out I have an issue.

Wife's laptop. 'Nuff said?

A happy wife is a happy life, after all. hehehehe

Comment

Originally posted by reiki

Wife's laptop. 'Nuff said?

A happy wife is a happy life, after all. hehehehe
          You got that right brother!

Please Read Me

Comment

Rule for 49 years of marriage:
            Ain't nobody happy until the wife is happy!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
              Rule for 49 years of marriage:
              Ain't nobody happy until the wife is happy!
              hahahaha... yeah we have a variation of that in our house as well. All the while the boys were growing up they KNEW...

"If da momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy"

Comment

I had this same problem and "sudo rfkill unblock all" definitely worked.
                Unfortunately, I have to retype it ever time the laptop wakes up or is restarted.
                Are there any long term solutions?

Comment

Working...
                X