This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samba too slow transferring files.

I have a home network with 2 laptops running 10.10 and the desktop on 11.04. Desktop is hard wired to a 4 port router while the laptops are wireless. Samba is installed on all the computers and works correctly but the speed is so slow that I suspect something is not right. I'm hoping someone will have some suggestions I can try to make proper use of the software. Many thanks.

Re: Samba too slow transferring files.

samba is generally slow w/ a 100mbps connection the fastest i ever seen was 8mb/s where with the same computers i would get 12mb/s using the nfs protocal , you might want to look in to that since your using only linux machines.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

This is still a pretty good NFS guide: http://mostlylinux.wordpress.com/network/nfshowto/

Note that "portman" is no longer a package -- that function is now included in the rpcbind package.

Comment

Unless you have a windows machine, you've no need for samba. Dump it and use NFS

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Would the speed of transfer be quicker if I was to invest in a NAS drive or still be similar?

Comment

Originally posted by assettt
            Thanks for all the replies. Would the speed of transfer be quicker if I was to invest in a NAS drive or still be similar?
            if ur using samba it will be just as slow if your going to get a NAS be sure it does nfs
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

IMO, that NFS how-to is out of date and too cutesy-wordy for me. :P

Please Read Me

Comment

You might want to see this: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...2431#msg262431
                Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Working...
                X