Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay. Let's assume that your printer is presenting the same/similar problem that mine did back in Karmic, and for which the bug report I pointed you to contained the solution.

Fire up CUPS from your browser. Then follow these steps:
    Administration > Add Printer > Local Printer > HP Printer (HPLIP) > Connection: parallel:/dev/usb/lp0

Gave it a name, description, and location and then selected the Printer and model and selected the driver to use, in my case, Panasonic KX-P4410 Foomatic/ljet2p (recommended).

Did a test print. Works great!

Set it as the default printer in Kubuntu (it doesn't get set by default there).

Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I tested the usb ports -
      If I plug the usb cable into a back panel usb port (all on motherboard) and do lsusb the printer is not listed.
      If I plug my 4 port usb expander into a back panel usb port the printer is listed. but even then hp-setup doesn't find anything.

Comment

I left my printer in the 4port expander, added printer in cups, it saw my printer!!! Continued adding, sent test page - IT PRINTED!!!
        I fired up Libre Office spreadsheet and PRINTED the sheet.
        I wish the real solution could be pinpointed, and carved in stone so it is never changed by any future software update.
        Thank you for your help, and patience. (Sorry, I did not try your parallel to usb uri)

Comment

Likely it was the installation of the hplip package that did it for you. I'm glad that you have your printer working. Had you done a restart/reboot after installing that package? With USB, after adding support, a reboot is often needed/required.

Comment

It would be nice to learn how to burn this live session to cd so I can install it to my hard drive, and not need to recreate this solution.

Comment

being a live session I did not want to reboot/restart.
              Thoughts are getting out of sequence...see my #20.

Comment

I didn't know that you were running from a LiveCD session. With a full install, the hplip package is installed by default. You should have no problem with your printer. Just have it plugged in and turned on when you do the installation.

Comment

OK, I'll go for it. I printed the entire thread (while the printer is working) to assist rebuilding if needed.
                  Thanks again.

Comment

Same problem same printer, but ...

I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same printer, except that lsusb shows me

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 03f0:a111 Hewlett-Packard

I started out with no printer defined, and I purged and reinstalled hplip, then did a reboot. Using hp-setup, no printer was detected.

I followed your (Hi, Snowhog!) recommendations thru step #16 of this thread (installation thru System Settings > Printer configuration > Add printer). The installation recommended "HP Photosmart 5510 series", which I accepted, as well as the hucpus 3.11.7 driver. I managed to print out a good test page.

However, when I bring up xsane, it tells me there is no scanner detected. What now?
                    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

From the ubuntu forum is this solution, which you apparently have already tried:

Remove the old hplip driver (terminal: sudo apt-get purge hplip) and re-install the hplip driver manually. If HPLIP is missing any dependencies, it will ask you if HPLIP should install this automatically. This is the best way to do it. At the beginning you also get some questions whether HPLIP should install some functions like Jetdirect and Fax support, answer every question with Yes (Y).

At the end when the installation procedure is ready and it ask you if it should reboot the system or plugin the printer/scanner, choose rebooting the system. This works better.

Keep in mind that during the installation procedure your pinter/scanner is turned off! After the reboot you can switch it on and Ubuntu/HPLIP will recognize is automatically.
                      Did you get the question about missing functions and installing them?

I had (have) an HP5610 printer and went to this site to download the latest driver: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/downloads.html
                      Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 24, 2012, 06:19 AM.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, Greygeek. (Btw, you don't look any greyer -- or balder -- than I do...)

Yes, I tried purging and reinstalling hplip. It posed no questions and made no comments about things missing.

$ sudo apt-get install hplip
                        Reading package lists... Done
                        Building dependency tree
                        Reading state information... Done
                        Suggested packages:
                        hplip-gui hplip-doc system-config-printer
                        The following NEW packages will be installed:
                        hplip
                        0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
                        Need to get 0 B/86.6 kB of archives.
                        After this operation, 606 kB of additional disk space will be used.
                        Selecting previously deselected package hplip.
                        (Reading database ... 297469 files and directories currently installed.)
                        Unpacking hplip (from .../hplip_3.11.7-1ubuntu3.1_amd64.deb) ...
                        Processing triggers for cups ...
                        Processing triggers for man-db ...
                        Setting up hplip (3.11.7-1ubuntu3.1) ...
                        Creating/updating hplip user account...
                        dpkg-statoverride: warning: --update given but /var/run/hplip does not exist
                        Removing any system startup links for /etc/init.d/hplip ...

The HP site says that scanning is supported. However, it says the minimum version is 3.11.10 and the Kubuntu 11.10 version is

$ dpkg -l hplip
                        Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
                        | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
                        |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
                        ||/ Name Version Description
                        +++-===========================-===========================-================================================== ====================
                        ii hplip 3.11.7-1ubuntu3.1 HP Linux Printing and Imaging System (HPLIP)

so I guess I will install a newer one.
                        'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

One problem's solution leads to another...

After installation of the latest hplip, hp-setup finds and installs the printer. Printing works fine. But I have the bug reported on HP's site at

https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/884763

If I unplug the printer from its USB cable and replug it, xsane scans just fine. If I drop xsane, print a page and try to scan again, xsane times out and gives a message

Failed to open device 'hpaio:/usb/Photosmart_5510_series?serial=CN21U3278805V3':
                          Error during dvice I/O.

In order to scan again, I must unplug and replug in the scanner. I do not understand why HP has not published a good reply to this problem. I now have hplip 3.12.4 and the problem was reported with 3.11.something.

Hmmm...

Comment

Late breaking news!!!
                            I have been futzing with the printer & CUPS (changing, deleting, installing, etc.), making it so it will not print at all.
                            Then I thought - What about wireless connection?
                            I set up the printer and router, got them connected, and it now prints flawlessly from any computer on the router.
                            What a relief!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by looksalota View Post
                              Late breaking news!!!
                              I have been futzing with the printer & CUPS (changing, deleting, installing, etc.), making it so it will not print at all.
                              Then I thought - What about wireless connection?
                              I set up the printer and router, got them connected, and it now prints flawlessly from any computer on the router.
                              What a relief!!!!
                              Great! Could you say a word or two about how you did that? Especially on Kubuntu and Windows. THanks.

Comment

This is all on Linux, I only use Windows as a last resort.
                                I used hplip-3.12.2.run to get drivers.
                                On the printer, I followed the wireless setup (on the tiny screen on the printer). I printed a "Wireless Network Test Results" page. This gave me the printer MAC address. I put this MAC address in my router "Wireless Setup" Page (Netgear WGR614 v6) and the router recognized the printer.
                                Then added the printer in CUPS (CUPS 1.4.6 detected the printer),and printed a test page from CUPS. I then printed a 3 page text file. Since these prints worked I modified the printer in CUPS to share the printer. I then added the printer thru CUPS on the other computer on the router (Fedora 16 and CUPS 1.5.2) and printed a test page and a 2 page text file.
                                Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                                X