This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to "drag" items to external monitor (from a notebook) [SOLVED]

I have a Dell Vostro 1500 Notebook, and I'm mostly successful in getting an external monitor to work. I get the background image to appear on the external monitor, and I'm even able to move the mouse from the notebook monitor over to the external monitor.

However I'm unable to "drag" anything over. For example, when I open dragon player and start playing a movie, when I try to move it over to the external monitor, I hit some sort of "wall", and the video will just squash up to the edge of the notebook monitor. But when I release the dragon player, I can move the mouse on over.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Re: Unable to "drag" items to external monitor (from a notebook)

humm hear that works just fine ..............hears how it's setup

if I try to boot with the external attached it wont take .........as it tries to set the 2 screens as (clone of) instead of (absolute & above) and at a resolution that will clone on both monitors 1024x768 on the laptop screen (LVDS1) and ? on the external.

so I have alwase connected the HDMI after boot ....configured as above I can drag windows between the 2 no prob.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

OK, going into the same screen as you are, Under multiple monitors, I get the error that I don't appear to have a second monitor.

However when I go to the NVIDIA settings console, I can access both monitors.

[img width=400 height=392]http://geeks4christ.org/nvidiasettings.png[/img]

Here's the monitor connected to the computer.

[img width=400 height=300]http://geeks4christ.org/DSCN4548.JPG[/img]

Comment

I have no Nvidia experience.................. sory

you would think if the curser will go between them the windows should to

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

In order to have both desktops act as one with nvidia you have to enable "Twinview"

Xinerama enables some features over standard separate X displays, but twinview allows all displays to behave as a single X screen; thus allowing sharing windows and such.

I'm not at my Kubuntu machine right now, but I believe there's an 'Enable Twinview" tic-box in nvidia-settings. Or you can manually edit xorg.conf and add "Option" "Twinview"

Please Read Me

Comment

I do remember seeing the "twinview", but the monitor is at work. I'll try it out tomorrow and report what happens!

Edit - Twinview was the key! All this time I've been using the "Separate X" option, thinking it was it. As a bonus, both displays now come up under the Display & Monitors/Multiple Monitors subsection.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X