This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia 560 ti doesn't work

Hey all, I've been putting together my first desktop and I'm running into some issues with the graphics card- a nvidia 560 ti. When I plug the screen into the card I get nothing. When I power the computer on with the screen plugged into the graphics card the screen turns on then goes into power save mode, then repeats over and over. Integrated graphics work fine (I'm posting this from the new system). I've tried changing BIOS settings to make sure the PCI card is default, but that doesn't make a difference. I've tried using the open source drivers, but they didn't seem to work, so I followed the directions here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NvidiaManual
    However, when I ran the installer, it first said that there was no card it supported on the motherboard, and then it gave me some errors when I continued anyways. Here's the contents of the log it made:
    http://pastebin.com/WkkVAAbU (its a really long file, I thought it would be better to link it)
    System specs:
    Rosewill Cruiser case
    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO mobo (updated to the newest bios)
    EVGA Nvidia GTX 560 ti
    hec XP1080 1080W power supply
    Intel Core i7-2600K
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 RAM
    Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB HDD
    Kubuntu 11.04 64 bit.

Thanks!

Re: Nvidia 560 ti doesn't work

Troubleshooting a pile of brand new hardware is always a pain -- I feel ya!

Does that monitor display anything at all -- the BIOS splash, or POST messages, or anything? You said you changed BIOS settings, so how far do you get before it turns off the monitor?

Do you have an older/different monitor that you could try attaching to the card? It sounds like you might need to go into BIOS and disable ACPI and any other power management items, for starters.

The Nividia site says their current Linux driver, ver. 280.13, supports your card, so I suspect your problem is more fundamental than the driver software.

Comment

Sorry, but this doesn't sound like a Kubuntu problem. If your monitor is not detected it's your cable, your video card, your BIOS, or your monitor.

Please Read Me

Comment

When plugged into the graphics card, the monitor displays nothing. When I changed the BIOS/ boot onto kubuntu, I was plugged into the integrated graphics. I used 275.21 for the driver, because the newest one's download link is broken. I'll look in the bios and see if those options are there, and I'll try a different monitor too!

Comment

Okay, I haven't gotten to check another monitor yet, but when I checked with lspci, the graphics card didn't show up.... does that mean the card is dead? The fan on it works, but other than that, it gives me no signs of life...

EDIT: I think I figured out the issue: The box for the card says it requires a power supply with a minimum of 30 amps on the +12 volt rail. Out of the four rails on my power supply, two are 22 amps, two are 26 amps. I would assume that would be causing the issue?

Comment

That could be it. Only one way to tell is to get a more powerful PS and try it. I had to upgrade mine this year too.

What's the model of your current PS?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by drakmor
              Okay, I haven't gotten to check another monitor yet, but when I checked with lspci, the graphics card didn't show up.... does that mean the card is dead? The fan on it works, but other than that, it gives me no signs of life...

EDIT: I think I figured out the issue: The box for the card says it requires a power supply with a minimum of 30 amps on the +12 volt rail. Out of the four rails on my power supply, two are 22 amps, two are 26 amps. I would assume that would be causing the issue?
              I'm surprised at the notion that the fan runs, but it doesn't show up on the PCI bus. I'm also skeptical that the low amperage would be the cause of no signal at all, even at the PCI bus level. I suppose there could be a design feature that detects the available power and prevents the card from powering up at all, but this would be the first case I've heard of.

However, it is quite true that these higher-end graphics cards do require a beefy PSU. I'm running a GTX-480, on an Asus P6X58D-E motherboard, and the PSU is a Corsair HX850.

If I were you, I would replace your PSU with a bigger one, that meets the 12V power spec for your card, then try "lspci" again. If you don't see the GPU, then I'd be thinking "RMA".

Also, I looked up you motherboard, and note that it has an integrated graphics chip, but it doesn't say what it is. Is it also an Nvidia chip? I wonder if it's possible that it is not fully disabled in BIOS, or if you need to change a jumper on the board to disable it, or anything like that?

Comment

Sorry, just looked at your first post. I think the PS should be enough. I'm betting it's the video card.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi, dont use the drivers from the Nvidia website, install it using Kpackagekit. First add the x-ppa repostiry for Nvidia.

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

Connect the monitor using your integrated graphics card, then purge remove all the Nvidia drivers currently installed.

After adding the above PPA, just search for and install nvidia-current and nvidia-settings

Restart and it should be working.

I have the same card with Natty and it installed without problems at all, as I had the drivers installed before attaching the card. hope this helps.

Cybeh.

Comment

Working...
                  X