This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia Geforce GT 555 M - Optimus

I've just installed Kubuntu 11.04 64b, and I'm trying to properly configure Bumblebee and Nvidia drivers..
    If I run the "NVidiaX server settings" it asks me to run script nvidia-xconfig, which change my xorg.conf and on reboot I X server doesn't start at all..

I installed also bumblbee, but if I run
    optirun glxgears

the window pops up and suddenly closes..

I couldn't find an how to for that...

I have a Santech X65 noteboook (which is the equivalent of the Clevo w150hr)

Thanks

Re: Nvidia Geforce GT 555 M - Optimus

UPDATE

I've restored the default xorg.conf

Code:
    Section "Device"
        Identifier   "Default Device"
        Option "NoLogo"    "True"
    EndSection
    and now optirun glxgears works but I get this message:

Code:
     * Starting Bumblebee X server bumblebee                                                                                             
    /usr/local/bin/bumblebee-enablecard: 1: �: not found
    [ OK ]
    3636 frames in 5.0 seconds = 727.063 FPS
    Another bumblebee powered application is running, keeping bumblebee alive.

Comment

This looks like a very active project, meaning updates will be daily or so for awhile.

This is also brand new so it's possible you're the only person on this forum trying this for now.

Likely, you're going have to hang-on for a bit until the developer(s) get the bugs <chuckle> out of bumblebee.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi Luca.
        I'm afraid the graphics card you own is NOT officially supported by nVidia.
        Santech sells Clevo products, and the GT555M used for the X65 is a Clevo-modified one (in fact, for example, the amount of memory is 2GB, and non the usual 3GB one provided by nVidia; there are some other differencies).
        Clevo DOESN'T provide linux drivers.
        I was going to buy an X65 but i changed my mind by now, for that reason. Santech technicians performed some tests, and told me that bumblebee started out and the main features worked (with Google Hearts, for example): but they can't assure me about full compatibility.
        Contact me by mail, if you like: we could exchange info and see if there is the possibility to solve the question.

Andrea

Comment

Originally posted by nsspino
          Hi Luca.
          I'm afraid the graphics card you own is NOT officially supported by nVidia.
          Santech sells Clevo products, and the GT555M used for the X65 is a Clevo-modified one (in fact, for example, the amount of memory is 2GB, and non the usual 3GB one provided by nVidia; there are some other differencies).
          Clevo DOESN'T provide linux drivers.
          I was going to buy an X65 but i changed my mind by now, for that reason. Santech technicians performed some tests, and told me that bumblebee started out and the main features worked (with Google Hearts, for example): but they can't assure me about full compatibility.
          Contact me by mail, if you like: we could exchange info and see if there is the possibility to solve the question.

Andrea
          Hey,

this is an interesting issue. I just bought an Asus N55sf laptop, that also has this modified gt555m with 2GB. Obviously it is common practise that manufacturer take nvidia chipsets and build up their own cards. (see add-in manufacturers website on nvidia.com http://www.nvidia.com/object/support_aic.html)

Anyways, the driver is still provided by nvidia or am I mistaken? I don't believe that every manufacturer starts creating its own drivers. That being said, the linux nvidia drivers should also support those cards, as the windows nvidia driver does. Nevertheless I'm struggling to get the card working on Ubuntu and Gentoo. So if there are any news on how to get the card running (with or without nvidia) please post it here. I think it doesn't really matter that this is the Kubuntu forum, as the problem is more general.

To state the problem I'm currently facing a bit more precise: The nodes /dev/nvi* are not created and therefore the X server can't start. This problem exists both in Ubuntu and Gentoo.

Cheers, Stefan

Comment

Working...
          X