This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Iconia a500

Bought me one of those while on vacation. Have to say that Android seems fairly decent. Actually have grown to like the tablet. Can VPN, RDP and VNC to all my systems @ work. To manage all of that from this has been remarkable! Wish they made these to install your own OS like Kubuntu Mobile!

Re: Acer Iconia a500

I been looking at those..<jealous>

Hey, weren't you supposed to be on vacation?
    Can VPN, RDP and VNC to all my systems @ work

Please Read Me

Comment

Yes, but I'm the manager of the IT department soooooo there is a level of expectance there. Better than nothing though. Did have fun playing with this tablet and how easy it was to manage remotely. I see so many places tablets can be used. Now, if I can just get our dang MS web apps to quit being so dang MS IE-centric. Hoping HTML5 will play a role in improving that, I hope!

Comment

Re: Acer Iconia a500 - Help mounting in 11.04!!!!

Maybe someone can help with this. Followed the steps and all appear as it should other than Kubuntu still does not show it available or mountable even though I have the entry in fstab.

http://www.acertabletforum.com/forum...ux-ubuntu.html

Comment

Continued here with a solution.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...1233#msg271233

Comment

Finally was pushed ICS for my device. So far runs great! Still wish there was an easy way of getting Kubuntu on here but ICS is doing great!
            Last edited by MoonRise; Apr 28, 2012, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
              Still wish there was an easy way of getting Kubuntu on here but ICS is doing great!
              Yeah. I am getting kind of bored with Gingerbread on my G2, and none of the ICS builds on XDA work exceptionally well. I'd love to replace the phone's whole OS with some sort of *buntu, preferably flavored with some KDE...

Comment

Oh, yes! To have KDE based phone would be sweet. Mine is the Samsung Stratosphere. Relatively new model and they stuck Gingerbread on it instead of Honeycomb which had already been released some time before they released the Stratosphere. They have no plans going to ICS for it which is sad. Phone is more than capable. KDE based! One can only wish.

By the way. Why is this thread here? I don't remember starting it in this section. Thought I had it somewhere else.
                Last edited by MoonRise; Apr 28, 2012, 06:48 AM.

Comment

I came within a whisker of buying an A500. Sweet machine, but not having a convenient way to install Kubuntu or Plasma-Active2 I talked myself out of it.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It really is a nice machine even with Android. At least it is Linux at its heart. ICS actually made that machine even better. Runs way smoother and yes, you can tell that. If those little processors can be improved upon I really see them taking the place of quite a bit, mainly laptops. With the A500 and its USB port, I can plug a Unified USB receiver for a mouse and keyboard and you'd never know the difference, especially being able to RDP into any other type system and still operate smoothly. OK, sorry, I'm soap boxing, but that is how much I love that device. To think, I have this DT, my laptop, my tablet and my smart-phone. ALL run Linux.

Comment

Working...
                    X