This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

External TV messes up plasma

I use a laptop and have been connecting it to an external HDTV for watching DVD's (which is way more fiddly than it should be and doesn't really work well).

Well after disconnecting the TV, next time I log in plasma is messed up completely:

Widgets have apparently off screen but if I open the panel settings, they still show as running so it seems they are off-screen somewhere.

I have a vertical panel which is left floating in the middle of the desktop instead of to the screen edge.
    If I move it back, then NEXT login it is floating again.

The only way to solve the problems are to delete one of the config files in ~/.kde/share/config to reset the desktop to default.

So then I set it up how I want it again but of course next time I connect the external TV I have the same problem.

I'm not a fan of Windows but I have to say, when I tried it on Win 7, it did everything for me and worked fine.
    On kubuntu it is a complete mess.

Re: External TV messes up plasma

The problem is caused by how you're connecting - basically without "warning" or set up for your system. It detects your TV as your monitor and re-arranges everything for the "new" monitor. I would agree that in general windows does a better job of this than KDE (so does Gnome IMO).

You didn't include any information about your setup or ask for any help so I guess you're not really looking for any. Good luck with whatever OS you choose.

Please Read Me

Comment

Re: External TV messes up plasma

I never said that I was looking for another OS to choose, simply comparing the setup vs Windows 7.
      Normally I prefer the way things work in KDE.

As far as setup is concerned (yea I realise I was a bit lacking there), I have tried connecting to 3 HDTV's of varying brands and sizes/resolutions, all via HDMI with the same results.

Getting the actual external viewing sorted isn't so much a problem as I can get it working, in a fashion.
      The problem is plasma messing up afterwards and having to spend ages setting it all up again.

Comment

Working...
      X