This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No touchpad found

I'm afraid all these things don't do what leetuckert wants, disable the trackpad but continue using the pointer in the keyboard.
    As they don't seem to be separate devices both would be enabled/ disabled together.

The proof is in the fact both were switched off when he disabled id13:

If I execute the xinput set-props command on 13 126, it shuts down both the mouse (the button in the middle of the keyboard) and the touch pad. Looks like they are inextricably bound together.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
      Ah yes, your laptop has also one of those pointers and like me you prefer it over a touchpad.
      I'm not sure there's a way to shut down just the touchpad..

My system has a separate driver for the TrackPoint:
      ⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
      ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
      ⎜ ↳ DualPoint Stick id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
      ⎜ ↳ AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint TouchPad id=12 [slave pointer (2)]
      ⎜ ↳ Microsoft Microsoft 3-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM) id=9 [slave pointer (2)]

Maybe you'll have to tape it off
      Well, I may have to resort to the tape; as I said, it's making me crazy!
      Thanks for the reply...

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
        if its the "eraser" kind of middle keyboard mouse you can take a pair of tweasers and pull the "eraser" stright up.it should come right off the electronic part and the remaining part is low enuff that you can't hit it.also some of them are hooked up to their own mobo connector so you might be able to just unhook it (and its buttons) if your able /willing to take the keyboard off.
        Actually, I want to use the eraser thingy and shut off the touch pad. That's what I keep hitting and sending my input cursor to some place where I don't want it.

Thanks for the help...

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
          Your mouse didn't show up as a pointing device - odd.

Give a bit more hardware details - models and such and how is your mouse connected.

Try disconnecting your mouse, disabling the touchpad, then plugging the mouse in.

Also what's the output of ls /sys/class/input ?

Look for a file called touchpad.rules - it will have some numbers with that name too like 81-touchpad.rules either in /etc/udev/rules.d or /lib/udev/rules.d. Post the contents if you have it, also the input section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf if you have that file.

Also - look in System Settings > Input Devices and see if you mouse and touchpad are both listed.

ls /sys/class/input
          event0 event12 event4 event8 input10 input2 input6 mice
          event1 event13 event5 event9 input11 input3 input7 mouse0
          event10 event2 event6 input0 input12 input4 input8
          event11 event3 event7 input1 input13 input5 input9

I don't have a mouse connected. I use the eraser thing in embedded in the keyboard.

I cannot find anything related to touchpad.rules; however, I did find some interesting stuff in /etc/events related to a touchpad.

In System Settings, a mouse and a touchpad are listed in the column of icons on the left; however, if I click the touchpad icon, I get the error about the touchpad not being found.

The xorg.conf file is attached. There is little information in there. Is this the problem?
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
            The program you need is "synclient". I used a script to turn the touchpad off when KDE started up. I put it in the System Settings "Startup and Shutdown". This was before I was able to turn off my touch pad with

Code:
            #!/bin/bash
            # toggle synaptic touchpad on/off

# get current state
            SYNSTATE=$(synclient -l | grep TouchpadOff | awk '{ print $3 }')

# change to other state
            if [ $SYNSTATE = 0 ]; then
              synclient touchpadoff=1
            elif [ $SYNSTATE = 1 ]; then
              synclient touchpadoff=0
            else
              echo "Couldn't get touchpad status from synclient"
              exit 1
            fi
            exit 0
            When I execute `synclient` I get the error: "Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synapt?ics driver loaded?"
            The pad is working so I don't quite understand how the driver cannot be loaded. How can I check that?

Comment

sudo apt-get install synclient
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

sudo apt-get install synclient
                This is crazy, but:
                terry@Genesis:~/Qt$ sudo apt-get install synclient
                Reading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree
                Reading state information... Done
                E: Unable to locate package synclient

Comment

Rats! See what I mean about a 70 year old brain?

The synclient program is part of xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, so that command should have been:
                  sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

Sorry.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Rats! See what I mean about a 70 year old brain?

The synclient program is part of xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, so that command should have been:
                    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics

Sorry.
                    Worry not, I appreciate the help. The program is already installed when I issue the command 'synclient' I get the following:
                    terry@Genesis:~/Qt$ synclient
                    Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?
                    terry@Genesis:~/Qt$
                    So it looks like the driver is not loaded; however, the device works
                    Someone said earlier that it looks as though the pad is bound to the mouse pointer as a single device. Is that what you think?

Comment

I don't know.

When I installed synclient I could run those commands manually and turn the touch pad off and on. So, I put them in a script which loaded when KDE starts up.

synclient touchpadoff=1 to turn it off,
                      synclient touchpadoff=0 to turn it on.

Do those commands work from a Konsole?

Comment

I don't know.

When I installed synclient I could run those commands manually and turn the touch pad off and on. So, I put them in a script which loaded when KDE starts up.

synclient touchpadoff=1 to turn it off,
                        synclient touchpadoff=0 to turn it on.

Do those commands work from a Konsole?
                        No, I get the same error. Get this, my xorg.conf file has four lines in it:
                        Section "Device"
                        Identifier "Default Device"
                        Option "NoLogo" "True"
                        EndSection

Shouldn't this device be referenced in there?

Comment

Reading a long thread in the alt.os.linux.ubuntu newsgroup I saw a solution to a similar problem on an Asus, there was a switch in the BIOS.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0JlvAa3Mos

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
                            Reading a long thread in the alt.os.linux.ubuntu newsgroup I saw a solution to a similar problem on an Asus, there was a switch in the BIOS.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0JlvAa3Mos
                            I will check this out. By the way, thanks to all of you for your help!

Comment

A little more detail just changed the whole issue. A while back - a kernel problem caused the Alps Touchpad and Trackpoint to be detected as a single PS/2 mouse - which seems to be your issue here.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/601113

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                                Look at the package tpconfig. I installed it, and I'm a happy camper. What it does:
                                Description: touchpad device configuration utility
                                This package provides a program that can show or modify the configuration of
                                various touchpad devices, including the Synaptics
                                TouchPad and the ALPS Glidepad/Stickpointer.
                                I configured my touchpad to be 'disabled' when the mouse is plugged in. Works great.
                                Cool.. Thanks for that info Snowhog! Been looking for something that would auto disable when a mouse was plugged in.

Comment

Working...
                                X