This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kpackagekit annoyance

Running maverick here, I keep getting reminded by kpackagekit that natty is available. Yeah, yeah, but I don't want to upgrade at this time. How can I stop the irritating pop-up appearing?

Cheers, tony

Re: kpackagekit annoyance

Open a terminal and type

kdesudo kate /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades

Then edit that file
    Code:
    # default behavior for the release upgrader
    #

[DEFAULT]
    # default prompting behavior, valid options:
    # never - never prompt for a new distribution version
    # normal - prompt if a new version of the distribution is available
    # lts  - prompt only if a LTS version of the distribution is available
    Prompt=normal
    You will notice that if you replaced "normal" by "never", it will stop dist-upgrade notification, that does not mean that will stop all notifications, it will stop only the release upgrade one.

Please Read Me

Comment

Sounds a little bit funny, tons of people are trying very hard to get such notification . Anyway here's how to get rid of that notification:

via terminal (pro):
      Code:
      qdbus org.kde.kded /kded unloadModule kpackagekitd
      qdbus org.kde.kded /kded setModuleAutoloading kpackagekitd false
      OR

via the GUI (noobs):
      Goto System Settings - Startup dan Shutdown - Service Manager, locate KPackageKit Service, uncheck and push Stop button, hit OK.
      ASROCK Z87 Pro4 - i5 4670K - R9 270x ☞ Triple Boot: KDE NEON ★ Windows 10 ★ Windows 7

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
        You will notice that if you replaced "normal" by "never", it will stop dist-upgrade notification, that does not mean that will stop all notifications, it will stop only the release upgrade one.
        Wonderful; just what I need. Thanks very much.

Comment

Originally posted by ubuntuku
          Sounds a little bit funny, tons of people are trying very hard to get such notification .
          I'm temporarily in rural France, at the end of what France Telecom have the brass to call an ADSL line. There's no way I'd want to attempt a dist-upgrade with it

Thanks for the reply, anyway.

Comment

Just so you know, you can also change that setting in Software Sources. Under the Update tab, at the bottom it will have a drop down box for Distrobution upgrades.

Also, if your question is solved, make sure to edit the original posts title and put "[SOLVED]" at the begininning of it.

Comment

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to share this answer in case anyone else needed to figure out how to do this. The best method (Using GUI. After all why install a GUI if you're going to go and do everything from the command line?) that won't disable regular update notifications is probably to go to 'System Settings' Then 'Software Management' then 'Settings' then click the button labelled 'Edit Origins' then on the tab labelled 'Updates' in the 'Software Sources' window that opens after entering your administrator password (root password usually) change the drop down list entry next to 'Show new distribution releases:' to 'Never'. This method will not hide any update notification other than the one to upgrade to a new distribution, unlike some of the other answers in this thread.

Comment

Glad you posted that bartman. I'm very cli centric I suppose as a DOS hold-over or because it's usually much faster than the GUI tool.

After all why install a GUI if you're going to go and do everything from the command line?
                So the answer to your question is "Because it's the fastest way to get back to playing with my GUI"

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by bartman2589
                  The best method (Using GUI. After all why install a GUI if you're going to go and do everything from the command line?
                  its way easier to say type this command then to explain click this, then click this type that hit apply blah , blah , blah... etc...
                  Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                  (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks for the solutions.

My issue is I have been running 10.10 a long time as a dual boot system XP on the side OS. I don't have issue with download speed but I have got my system working at 99.9% effectiveness and I don't desire to go messing it up now. After all, why do you think I run XP instead of Vista or 7?

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                    X