This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

partitioner?

I've been googling, but cannot find the partitioner in Kubuntu. I want to turn off one swappartition and create a new one on another (faster) drive.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!
    patti

EDIT: Found gParted in kpackagekit - I assume this is what Kubuntu uses? It would be better if it had a custom-partitioner taylored to debian/K/Ubuntu/

Re: partitioner?

I trust the information in Rog131's article, FAQ: How to Partition. It seems to cover your question and much more.
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Telengard has provided the correct answer to the question.

However ...

Originally posted by PattiMichelle
      I want to turn off one swappartition and create a new one on another (faster) drive.
      seems to suggest that putting your swap on a faster drive will do something useful. If your system is actually using swap more than occasionally, you're already standing with one foot in a hole in the ground. Are you sure your system is swapping? If so, why? If not, then putting swap on a faster drive will do nothing whatever for performance.

If you can tell more about the problem that you believe your system has, maybe we can give more helpful guidance to speed it up.

Comment

I was able to do things with GParted, and some manual editing of fstab. I was doing a HUGE calculation in a computer algebra system - it would use up all 8GB of ram and went half way through my swapfile. Never finished. <sigh>

Thanks!
        Patti

Comment

Have you tried KDE's partition manager?

K > System Settings > System Administration > Partition Manager
          Boot Info Script

Comment

I was able to do things with GParted, and some manual editing of fstab. I was doing a HUGE calculation in a computer algebra system - it would use up all 8GB of ram and went half way through my swapfile. Never finished. <sigh>

Thanks!
            Patti
            Interesting, as this type of operation should be processor intensive not memory intensive. I've been wrong lotsa times before but I'd suspect a memory leak in the college algebra system.

That doesn't solve your issue, though - just an observation on my part.
            we see things not as they are, but as we are.
            -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by verndog

Is the Partition Manager installed by default in Kubuntu 10.10? I can't remember - though you are right, it does show up in System Settings once installed.
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Solve this yet Patti?

You can also do all this temporarily rather than as a permanent change. Once you've created your new partition, use the swapoff/swapon commands to change (or add) and make your new swap partition active, run your math problem(s), then when you restart later the swap will revert to it's previous settings freeing up the other partition.

Another solution might be to permanently or temporarily add a swapfile as a secondary swap. Then when you run out of space on the first one, the swapfile will kick in.

Please Read Me

Comment

I don't see anything in K > Settings > System Settings > System Administration that is called "Partition Manager?

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                    Solve this yet Patti?

You can also do all this temporarily rather than as a permanent change. Once you've created your new partition, use the swapoff/swapon commands to change (or add) and make your new swap partition active, run your math problem(s), then when you restart later the swap will revert to it's previous settings freeing up the other partition.

Another solution might be to permanently or temporarily add a swapfile as a secondary swap. Then when you run out of space on the first one, the swapfile will kick in.
                    Thanks, I think I gave up on actually using a swapfile to do calculations - it had to run for 12 hours and still never finished. Then I couldn't regain control of my computer. A mouse click took minutes to respond to. So if I can't get it done in 8GB ram, I guess I'm not going to do it. Thank you very much for the information, though. I appreciate knowing about how Linux works!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

You can kill rogue processes from the process table. The process table is usually available in Kubuntu via the CTRL+ESC keyboard shortcut, though I'm not sure about your version of Kubuntu.

It is also possible to kill processes from the command line with the kill command.

There are various ways to go about these things. The most important point I'd like to get across is that it should almost never be necessary to switch off or reboot a Linux machine just to regain control of rogue processes. (i.e. this isn't Windows).
                      Welcome newbies!
                      Verify the ISO
                      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I know this won't be popular with a lot of people, but parted at the terminal is not bad.
                        FKA: tanderson

Comment

I don't see anything in K > Settings > System Settings > System Administration that is called "Partition Manager?
                          It in the Kmenu >System > KDE Partition Manager

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                          X