This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DVD ISO creator

Is there a way to take the .VOB, .BUP and .IFO files of a DVD and make them back into a DVD ISO image that K3B will burn?

It would be nice to play the DVD from its menu instead of playing the .VOB files directly.

Has anybody done this?

Thanks in advance,

rogerduncan100 :P

Re: DVD ISO creator

Yes, but I have to ask what it is exactly you're doing.

What I mean is: Are you taking a physical DVD, ripping it to your hard drive and/or receiving the vob/ifo/bups from another source - and then watching it from the .vob's?

I ask because if you have the physical DVD, K3B will create an .iso all by itself. Just do a copy, tic the "only create image" option and then specify the .iso under the "Image" tab.

If you're interested is just playing the DVD main title and not all the other junk on the disk, use handbrake to rip and create a playable file.

If you are in possession of the files only and not the actual disk, it's a bit more involved but still easily done. The program to do that is mkisofs. Here's a how-to: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=120186

Please Read Me

Comment

Keep in mind what happens when you insert a dvd. My system mounts the dvd's file system at the path /dev/sr0. /dev/dvd is a symbolic link to /dev/sr0. So any dvd player on linux is really just reading files mounted under a directory. So if you have correctly formatted dvd files you just need to point the player to the directory instead of /dev/dvd. There is no need to make a dvd image to burn so the system can mount the same files underneath a different directory (if I understand what you are trying to do). 2 ways.

1) install smplayer and under file menu open dvd from folder.

2) vlc under tools/preferences menu. input and codecs change the path for default optical device to the directory containing your dvd files. this used to work for kaffeine in earlier releases but no more...or I can't find it.
      FKA: tanderson

Comment

What I want to do is take all the files that make a DVD, just contained in a folder, and make them work together like a regular DVD.

I can use Devede (in Kubuntu 8.04, it crashes in Kubuntu 10.10) to turn .VOB files back into a playable DVD but I don't get the menu functions. I guess they are in the other .BUP files that Devede doesn't handle.

Since I have all the files I want to create a functioning DVD.

Comment

I haven't had the time to try [i]mkisofs[i] but I will try it eventually!

Comment

Originally posted by rogerduncan100
            What I want to do is take all the files that make a DVD, just contained in a folder, and make them work together like a regular DVD.
            if you just want to watch the video with menus you don't need to burn a dvd. Read my previous post.

if you want to burn a dvd, use k3b create a video dvd project and drag all the dvd files underneath the video_ts folder.
            FKA: tanderson

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              Yes, but I have to ask what it is exactly you're doing.

What I mean is: Are you taking a physical DVD, ripping it to your hard drive and/or receiving the vob/ifo/bups from another source - and then watching it from the .vob's?

I ask because if you have the physical DVD, K3B will create an .iso all by itself. Just do a copy, tic the "only create image" option and then specify the .iso under the "Image" tab.

If you're interested is just playing the DVD main title and not all the other junk on the disk, use handbrake to rip and create a playable file.

If you are in possession of the files only and not the actual disk, it's a bit more involved but still easily done. The program to do that is mkisofs. Here's a how-to: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=120186
              Thanks for the K3b tip. It works well. You can open the iso with vlc, select play movie and then hit the vlc record button. Drawback is that recording will take the same time as the movie length. It is more 'efficient' to open the disc in vlc and rip/transcode to mp4.
              I like Handbrake and have used it in 12.04, the snapshot version. I am not sure whether there is a 64 bit version as the one in the pkg. manager is i386 ?

Comment

By the way, a nifty trick for making an iso and burning it is to use the "dd" command. I only advise this if you are comfortable with the commandline. K3B is just such a killer program.

Comment

Working...
                X