X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about virtualbox

Hi,
    I have never used virtualbox and have some questions. If I understand it correctly then I could run windows 7 under virtualbox instead of dual booting. Am I correct in that I could install programs and games inside like World of Warcraft and also my Cyberlink blue ray player software and run them successfully? Please forgive my ignorance in this but I am really wanting to get rid of the dual booting that is going on. My husband keeps booting into windows to play his games and I am getting tired of having to remove malware...A virtualbox may be just the ticket to bring him over. He has run wow successfully in wine but the occasional freeze has caused him to give up and just run windows.

I am running an athlon x2 3000+ processor on this machine with 3gigs of ram 500 hard drive.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Penny

Re: Question about virtualbox

yes, you *should* be able to do all that, but the only thing to consider is that games, video, etc may not play as well as you are using not only a virtual OS, but also a virtual Video card as well so it may not look all that good. But you can of course try it out.

Someone will have to confirm this, but I also believe you can run an existing Windows installation via VMware or Virtualbox, which may make some things easier.

But running a fresh windows istall in a VM is alo quite safe - if you somehow get malware/virus/etc, you simply and rather quickly ditch the virtual image files start fresh again.

Comment

I was never happy with WoW runing in a VM .....but your hardware is better than mine so maybe you will fare better .........

let him trash windows several times then tell him to take care of windows his self if he neads it LOL

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Please be aware that windows running in virtualbox will still be vulnerable to malware. If your main goal to to avoid this, it won't help.

Comment

I'd say dual boot would be better and then let him deal with his malware and such.

Please Read Me

Comment

Performance wise, I think dual booting would be better. But there is the possibility that Windows 7 will be affected by mal-ware and be unfixable. IMO, you would do good to install 7 on a separate partition, get the best anti-malware you can, then put all the programs and customizations that you want on it, setting it up to perfection for yourself. After you've done all that, back it up with imaging software (clonezilla perhaps) so that you can fix a corrupted Windows install with simple back up and restore.

I believe that may be your best option if you want a high performance windows installation.

I've got XP running on Virtualbox myself, but just for a couple of programs and such, so I don't need much and I keep it off when I don't need it to protect it from getting infected.

Comment

I'm thinking of installing Virtual Box on my laptop which has 1GB of RAM. Would this be enough to run other Linux distros through Virtual Box? I am also thinking of running ReactOS this way.

Comment

Originally posted by nickstonefan View Post
                I'm thinking of installing Virtual Box on my laptop which has 1GB of RAM. Would this be enough to run other Linux distros through Virtual Box? I am also thinking of running ReactOS this way.
                You should be able to run a minimal linux distro, but I wouldn't attempt to have multiple VM's at once with this little RAM. Also, dis-able desktop effects and don't run much else while running the VM. Most linux distros will run in 256KB, but not with much going on.

Please Read Me

Comment

I second what oshunluvr says. I usually give at least 512MB to a VM that's going to run a GUI desktop, sometimes as much as 1GB. VirtualBox will object if you try to start a vm with more than half your RAM allocated to it, and if you go ahead anyway you can run into situations where it's slow enough to seem deadlocked.

So, yes, but borderline.
                  I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by nickstonefan View Post
                    Your project sounds like a good excuse to experiment with zRam. Search the forum for our recent thread discussing it.

Comment

Working...
                    X