X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kubuntu should be discontinued?

Originally posted by dibl
    Heh heh heh -- that "FULL UPGRADE" button is such a tempting little devil, isn't it?

It's only after the carnage and destruction that it becomes obvious one should just leave it alone.
    Which is precisely what I do.

Regards...
    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Ah, discontinue Kubuntu...
      In your original post I don't see a single reason why, of course Canonical has products with issues that can reflect on their core business but the KDE version of Ubuntu is in my opinion the least of their potential worries!
      Yes I would like them to spend more on Kubuntu, as a matter of fact now KDE4 has matured to 4.5 I encourage them to ditch Gnome. :P

I was not exactly an early adopter of Linux when I got my hands on a CD with Red Hat Turbo Linux 4.1, and it was a few distributions later until I made it more or less work for everyday use.
      But I only became a full time Linux user after I discovered the KDE desktop, old headaches disappeared and a multitude of option became available. 8)

It was when I tried a permanent install of a Debian based Knoppix CD that I realised the potentialwer of apt-get and since the first issue of Kubuntu that's what I've stuck with.

KDE4.0 was a proper disaster but who cares, you don't have to upgrade!
      I still run a partition with 8.04 with the last KDE3.5 but now I don't use it any more, I just log in once a moth to do the updates and realise it was actually pretty good.

These days my daily OS is the latest Kubuntu with the beta PPA's of many items (like KDE 4.6 rc1)and it just works!

Oh yes, KDE is also a beauty.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        BTW, Microsoft has released an AV/AJ/FW product called "Microsoft Security Essentials", which is rated highly by those who use it. It is free and updates the DAT files regularly. It doesn't have any ads embedded and no nag screens. You'd think it was a FOSS project.
        It is basically the client app of the forefront commercial suite. It was released as an apology for the last disaster AV suite that MS built.
        They bought in outside help to develop forefront. Apparently if you connect a PC running security essentials to a network running forefront, it is recognised by the forefront server as the client and gets updated etc. Yes it is very good, it even cleans up those nasty fake AVs that no other AV and only one anti-malware product detects. And it is very unobtrusive.

Just found that desktop/netbook switcher, very cool.
        You don't need a license to drive a sandwich.

Comment

What kind of attitude is this ? I'm too stupid to use it, so it should be discontinued ?!? Hell, if Kubuntu is beyond your skills go and buy a Mac but for God's sake spare us with comments like this !!

I've got my own history of disappointments with Kubuntu, but 10.10 rocks, especially with the KDE 4.6 update from the PPAs. Besides, no one who has got half a brain would seriously do the "full System Upgrade" thing - you install the new release to the other partition and then switch over when / if everything works (mind you, this is a good survival strategy for Windows, too).
          "A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." - Mitch Ratcliffe

Comment

Originally posted by axel668
            ...but 10.10 rocks, especially with the KDE 4.6 update from the PPAs....
            10.10 is just Ubuntu. It 's KDE 4.6 that makes it "rock"! 8)
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
              ...but 10.10 rocks, especially with the KDE 4.6 update from the PPAs....
              10.10 is just Ubuntu. It 's KDE 4.6 that makes it "rock"! 8)
              Ditto on that GG!!

Comment

Besides, no one who has got half a brain would seriously do the "full System Upgrade" thing -
                he he .....well I never claimed to have a brain at all ..... and have hit that "full System Upgrade" (exept 10.10.....yet )button every release sense 8.10 and my system is a rock & rocks 8)

currently Kubuntu 10.04 KDE-4.5.3 kernel- 2.6.32-28-generic ......

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I say we discontinue the OP

Comment

Working...
                  X