This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kubuntu should be discontinued?

In another land, far far away, there were these bright eyed little kids walking across a bridge to a brighter land and from underneath the bridge they hears this .....

a) grunting
    b) whining
    c) babbling brook
    d) whistle of a train on the tracks under the bridge
    e) there is no bridge, and there is were no kids there was only a very, very, very, small, eeensy, teensy, soft thing that eventually disappeared and was last heard of when some lemmings decided to not jump off the edge of the world and instead gathered together and did an dance of ancient african origins while listening to the sounds of a Kettle Drum Enchanting the night.

wooddancingsmoke

(BTW if anyone thinks that the above is somewhat of a stretch, I agree. )
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I want to throw my two cents into this wonderful mess. I'm running a netbook, and installed Kubuntu onto my computer, and am extremely happy with it. Now, while I was tweaking things to my satisfaction[yes, it has the flexibility to tweaked]I noticed that I can change it to the DESKTOP view. Go to the system settings --> desktop settings. You'll see it in there somewhere. It gives you the option to switch from netbook to desktop. Felt like sharing that.
      Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

I just switched my wife's Acer Aspire One 521 from the Netbook to the Desktop setting and set it up to look like her Acer Aspire 3000 laptop running Lucid. The AA1 64bit Maverick KDE 4.5.1 desktop now looks exactly like my Lucid KDE 4.5.3 desktop. Unfortunately, the AA1 has only 1GB of RAM, so I'll have to wait until the 2GB RAM chip comes from Amazon to see how much of an improvement it gives. I suspect/hope the additional RAM will double the speed.

In the Netbook setting the Maverick installation is reasonably fast. The Desktop setting runs about half as fast, at times, as the Netbook setting. For a comparison, with the bloat-ware removed, the Windows 7 Starter OS runs about twice as fast as the Maverick Netbook setting. I believe that this is because I installed Maverick using the WUBI so it is running from a file on the Windows NTFS system, NOT as a resident of the HD.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          I believe that this is because I installed Maverick using the WUBI so it is running from a file on the Windows NTFS system, NOT as a resident of the HD.
          I have zero experience with a wubi install, but understand that it is a huge file within Windows. When you opt to boot into Kubuntu from a wubi install, does the OS utilize the hardware, or does it virtualize it? Specifically, is Kubuntu using the phyiscal GPU? Do you have full desktop effects?
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

not at all, Kubuntu should not be discontinued.

could it be improved? yeah, most things can be improved up to a certain point. is it being improved? from what I've read, yeah, both Kubuntu and KDE are.

i started with Ubuntu and i liked it, it's a great OS. i stopped using it because of the stupidest reason (nothing/no one will make use unity, ever) but I'm glad i switched, Kubuntu is a heck of a lot better for me in many ways.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              I have zero experience with a wubi install, but understand that it is a huge file within Windows. When you opt to boot into Kubuntu from a wubi install, does the OS utilize the hardware, or does it virtualize it? Specifically, is Kubuntu using the phyiscal GPU? Do you have full desktop effects?
              I downloaded the 64bit Kubuntu desktop ISO and installed it on a USB stick as a LiveUSB. From it I took the wubi.exe file and copied it to the downloads directory in Win7. From Win 7 I downloaded the same ISO file into the downloads directory. I clicked on wubi.exe and chose to run it as the administrator. I selected 25GB as the install size. After about two or three minutes, at the most, I was told to reboot. I did. I was presented with Win 7's boot manager and setting in the second position was Kubuntu. I selected it and within a minute had the Netbook search & find desktop staring at me. It is not running virtual. Win 7 is NOT running. I have direct connections to the hardware. lsusb, lspci, lshw, etc... all give exactly what you think they should give. The audio worked fine but I could not record audio. Skype couldn't hear me but the webcamera worked fine. The video chip is accessed directly and the active desktop was checked as default, but the effects ran SLOW because 3D acceleration is not very affective. Stellarium gives me about 0.5 fps. Also, because the "HD" is a file residing on the ntfs formatted HD there appears to be a speed penalty involved. Thus, the Netbook DE runs about 1/2 as fast as the Win 7 desktop. When I switched to the KDE4 Desktop DE it ran about 1/3 as fast as the Win 7 DE. When I booted back into Win 7 and used the control panel to remove Kubuntu the erasure took all of 5 seconds. The boot manager didn't reappear and the AA1 went directly into Win 7.

I was going to try out the newly released alpha of Natty Narwhal but the wubi.exef for it doesn't recognize it and instead connects to the 10.10 torrent and installs it. I killed that operation without harm. I plan to wait till Natty's wubi works correctly so I can see what Wayland and Unity are like. IF my wife likes them that's what will stay on the AA1. Because the wubi is so easy to do and does not require the HD to be partitioned, I plan to stay with the wubi install and make it the default selection on the Windows boot manager. Even if it runs at 1/2 (assuming wayland and unity make no significant improvements) all my wife does is email and the occasional browsing. The AA1 is a small, light but powerful 64 bit computer with a 5 hr battery life that will fulfill her needs appropriately.

BTW, Microsoft has released an AV/AJ/FW product called "Microsoft Security Essentials", which is rated highly by those who use it. It is free and updates the DAT files regularly. It doesn't have any ads embedded and no nag screens. You'd think it was a FOSS project. I found out about it after I installed AVG_2011 and found it was now just another obnoxious AV product that doesn't entirely remove itself when you uninstall it. (The avgtray.exe remains behind to get in the way and nag.)

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thanks for the laugh

<there was more but i decided to leave it out.>
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Is this more flamebait?
                  Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

An update on my wife's AA1 install.

The 2GB RAM chip came and I installed it. With 2GB of RAM Ubuntu netbook is VERY fast. I installed, eventually Kubuntu-deskstop and switched to the KDE 4.4.2's DE. Very FAST. Suddenly, Stellarium went from offering less than 5 fps, to between 30-50fps. An extra GIG of RAM makes a world of difference. Kubuntu 10.04 is as fast as, if not faster, than Win7.

I solved the mic problem with Skype and it works very well. The external USB DVD/CDROM works nicely!

Comment

Welllllllllllllllllll

If I can take a rather plain vanilla Kubuntu whatever install and do both a kernal upgrade AND an upgrade to 10.04 point whatever the number is upgrade AND

The system STILL WORKS...........................

then just maybe Kubuntu is not some "flash in the pan" distro...........

and besides that..............the FREE AND OPEN Koffice works Magnriffcisunntetely with it!!! 8)

as does Cairo Dock and all those kewl plasmoidy thingys like putting a folder on the desktop that represents the deskotp....

hmmmmm is that kind of like installing a recursive kernel on top of a non-recursive kernel that does not need to run the flag up the pole to salute it?

anyway....Kubuntu seems PRETTY ROBUST TO MOI!!!

woodallintorobustnesssmoke

sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin
                        Is this more flamebait?
                        not intended at all as flamebait. i had a bunch of stuff i had typed as a responce to the discontinuing of kubuntu. but opted not to include it in the post bascily that, i don't think it should be discontinued and i can't get these few remaining kde3 people, i really think kde4 i s at this point on par with where kde3 was in just about all the features, although there are a few things that need to be updated. thats about all. (see no bait) it just a lot worder then that. so i just choped it all out..
                        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by jem

*** Maybe it is time to call it quits, and discontinue Kubuntu? ***
                          You can call it quits if you like, it's your call but as for discontinuing Kubuntu, I think NOT!

Regards .....
                          Kubuntu User #9802
                          Linux Registered User #357086

Comment

Lose Kubuntu? god no - its the only apt based distro with a decent KDE install that's regularly updated that I know of.
                            Hell I'd have to switch to OpenSUSE and I *hate* RPM.

My advice if you're feeling burnt? stick with the LTS releases. I moved my wife from XP to Kubuntu 10.o4 and have firmly resisted the urge to tweak it - she's very happy with it, didn't have any problems running it at all. Her biggest complaint is the lack of sounds in the Yahtzee game.

For me - I'm running dual boot 10.10 + 4.6Beta / 11.04, but I like playing with the bleeding edge and expect breakage.

Comment

Long live Kubuntu I say!

I actually switched to kubuntu from ubuntu "proper" because THAT didn't feel release ready, let alone "high class".

I don't do release upgrades though, I prefer a clean install and think of it as spring cleaning and get rid of stuff I don't need anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
                                Originally posted by jem
                                Is it really asking too much if . . .
                                Yes.

This made me laugh so hard you have no Idea LOL! KUBUNTU is the BEST OS and people that don't like it can use ugly Gnome on a Pardus machine, (No offense to Pardus users...well a little bit)

Comment

Working...
                                X