This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation and setup/configuration success

I downloaded the LiveCD (32-bit) two days ago. Tried it from the LiveCD, and decided to install it on my other partitions today. Took twenty-six minutes, and then the customization began.

The very first thing I did was to modify my /etc/grub.d/40_custom files in Maverick and Lucid so I could elect to boot from either OS:

Lucid 40_custom:
    #!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    # 10-10-12 customization
    menuentry "Ubuntu, Maverick Meerkat"{
    set root='(hd0,7)'
    configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    {
    Maverick 40_custom:
    #!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    # 10-10-12 customization
    menuentry "Ubuntu, Lucid Lynx"{
    set root='(hd0,1)'
    configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
    {
    This puts a menu entry in each Grub menu that allows me to 'jump' to the Grub menu of the other OS. Sweet. 8)

Then made the following KPackageKit changes:

Check for updates changed to Daily
    Activated:
    Pre-released updates
    Unsupported updates
    Canonical Partners

Opened a console and dist-upgraded:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Rebooted.

Added Medibuntu repository and key:
    sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update

Installed:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libdvdcss2 w32codecs libavcodec-extra-52 libdvdread4 libk3b6-extracodecs libmp3lame0 libxine1-ffmpeg
    Commercial DVDs play properly. 8)

Installed:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer
    My online crossword puzzle (my test for Flash) works correctly. Sweet. 8)

Installed:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install wicd wicd-cli wicd-curses
    Removed:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge modemmanager network-manager network-manager-openconnect network-manager-openvpn network-manager-pptp network-manager-vpnc knm-runtime network-manager-kde plasma-widget-networkmanagement
    Rebooted and launched Wicd Network Manager and configured my Wireless connection.

Added my Panasonic KX-P4410 laser printer via System Settings > Printer Configuration (Interestingly, I couldn't set it up via CUPS 1.4.4 as I had to do in Lucid 10.04) and test printed successfully.

That's the extent of my customization so far. My 'acid tests' of getting commerical DVD playback, Flash, and networking with Wicd, once again, worked flawlessly. So, I have:

Working video with my lowly Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03) which includes 3D Desktop Effects1 and DVD playback.
    Working sound with my lowly Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02).
    Working wired network connectivity with my Intel Corporation PRO/100 VE Network Connection (rev 02).
    Working wireless network connectivity with my Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01).
    Working USB laser printer.

This has been, for me, the easist installation/setup and configuration of a Kubuntu distribution yet. Nice. Very nice.8) 8)

Added:
    10-16-2010
    Realized that Desktop Effects were disabled upon reboots. Noticed this when I opened a Konsole and the transparancy wasn't there. Settings > Configure Profiles... > Edit Profile... > Appearance > Edit had a message that transparancy wasn't supported. Hmm. System Settings > Desktop Effects shows that Enable desktop effects is unchecked. Checking it opens a notification that another process has disabled desktop effects (or something to that effect) but that I can turn them on with Shift+Alt+F11, which does in fact re-enable Desktop Effects. Hmm. So I go ahead and on the Advanced tab, check Disable functionality checks. Subsequent reboots retain Desktop Effects.

Notes:
    1 - Required installing mesa-utils
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Installation and setup/configuration success

Nice short install how-to, good work.

I have "converted" three users in the last three weeks: one Ubuntu, one Kubuntu, one Ubuntu Netbook - all 10.04

The last one was a Ubuntu install from a USB drive onto a 3 year old HP laptop - initial install took only 20 minutes including moving a partition!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
    X