This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install Kubuntu

I have an eight year old desktop. Now the configuration of the system is Pentium-4 2GHz processor; 1GB DDR-1 RAM and 40 GB HDD with only a CD RW drive (no DVD), a floppy drive (which is useless now) and a few USB sockets. I have been using it with dual boot of Win-XP and Kubuntu version 9.04 for a long time.

After a recent repair of the hardware two months ago (and RAM increased to 1 GB from 256 MB which was there earlier), I formatted the disc and re-installed everything in the same way it was earlier: Windows in about 34 GB and Kubuntu with about total 5.5 GB of which, 750 MB or so is SWAP space. After this, I found Dragon player and Amarok player not working at all and giving messages saying that some packages need to be installed for the p[layer to work whenever I press any media file. Then, I decided to upgrade Kubuntu and pressed the relevant buttons in the pop-up messages. It first upgraded to 9.10 and then to 10.04 version of Kubuntu. But after this, every activity in Kubuntu seems to have considerably slowed down! For example, during start-up, when I press enter after giving the password, it takes about 90 seconds for the desktop display and a total of about 4 minutes till the music indicating the completion of start-up. If I click on any document, power point or anything like that it takes nearly a minute for the thing to open. If I click on a movie, it takes nearly 90 seconds for it to start. I did not work in 9.10 version at all so I do not know if there was any problem there!

I tried posing the query in the forum and got so many suggestions which thoroughly confused me. I am not a technical person and find it difficult to understand some of the explanations in the publications of Kubuntu too.

Based on the replies that I received from everyone, I thought it best to format the partition and re-install Kubuntu 10.04 (or maybe, 10.10) afresh. So, I went into the site http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download and downloaded the ISO image Desktop CD, 32 Bit using bit torrent. Thereafter, burnt it into a CD.

While trying to boot through this CD, I am facing a new problem. That is, after the system boots through the CD, in the choices that appear, There is no choice of INSTALL KUBUNTU. It shows that it is Kubuntu 10.10 and gave a total of 4 choices like disk check, memory check and .... I don't remember the other two. There were also choices of F1, F2, F3, F4, F5 and such buttons below. I tried putting back the old CD of 9.04 version and it is very clear -- giving the choice of Install Kubuntu too. I feel that there is something wrong with this CD??

Can someone tell me what I can do now?

Re: How to install Kubuntu

If it's the livecd, the install option is on the desktop when you've booted into it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Correct, the newer versions don't show the install option until the next step, as shown in the screenshots link I posted in one of your other threads

Your system should be fine with Kubuntu, I have two old laptops with similar specs and they do run fine. I suggest letting it go to the live-cd desktop and seeing what works and what doesn't before installing, though do note that performance in live mode will be slower than if it were physically installed on a hard drive.

Comment

Thank you very much for both the replies.

I tried to install again using the same CD. The options available are (one) Start Kubuntu (two) Check Disc for defects (three) Test memory (four) Boot from first hard disk. I selected the option at one. A blue screen came up with "Kubuntu 10.10" written in the center. Along with it were four dots below that title which kept flashing as if something (some files) is loading. After about 15-20 minutes of retaining that screen, screen went completely black and the message came up saying something about "some files were missing and cannot proceed" something like that. Sorry . . . I did not note down exactly what the message said. Pressing any button on the keyboard or moving the mouse had no effect then. I had to switch off by pressing the "restart button" on the CPU because nothing else worked!

Well, now I guess this means I have to download again and make another CD!?

Comment

possibly, but first try burning the disk at a slower speed. That often helps, and may save you from downloading again if you have slow speeds or download caps.

read
          http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download way at the bottom
          and
          https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
          to help verify your downloaded iso

it is also possible the graphics card is a culprit. I believe that VIA cards have spotty support in general

Comment

Hello guys . . .

In the past week, I downloaded the Kubuntu 10.10 once again (not using the torrent) and burnt a new CD. With the help of this one, I re-formatted the Kubuntu portion of the hard disk and re-installed. Now everything seems to be working extremely fine for the past four days. I even installed new desktop themes and wall papers.

Yesterday, I found a notification stating that I have some 240 updates although my install CD itself is just four days old! Anyway went ahead and updated. Continues to work fine so far and guess it should continue to do so. I hope by the end of June this year, I can completely ignore MS Windows and its associated programs!!! That is, if I get fully comfortable working with this.

Thank you all for all the help offered to me.

Comment

Awesome!

Do not be afraid to stick around for any other questions. June isn't that far off

it took me about 2 years of dual/triple booting (Win98/Mandrake/Beos) to finally take the plunge about 9 years ago, man have we come so far .....

Comment

Another step to consider as you phase out of MS program is installing windows in VirtualBox for those last couple of programs you can't seem to ditch.

Soon you'll find you having launched windows in weeks or longer...

Welcome to linux!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X