X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using an existing /home partition on a fresh install

Guys,

After a bad-done upgrade from 10.04 to 10.10 (X server fails to run and some apps aren't upgraded, as konqueror is still there and rekonq don't), and some existing problems without solution before the upgrade (kdesudo don't opens the apps), I've decided to do a fresh install, but I like to use an existing /home as is.
    I ran the live-CD and stopped on the formatting screen, because I'm a little afraid in going ahead.

I done a backup anyway, although just for the most important files, as I haven't enough space to backup the entire partition, but I would like to maintain the config files.

Is it safe just to mark the / partition to format, and select the /home mount point without formatting?

Re: Using an existing /home partition on a fresh install

Safe? Yes.

However, please understand that any and all "wrong/screwed up" desktop settings that you presently have will be carried forward into the new installation, if you do it this way. If you are very happy with your current desktop settings, then you'll probably be fine to do as you are planning.

Comment

another way to handle this is - boot to the live cd, mount your hard drive /home partition, rename your old home directory to something different, then install your 10.10.

If you wish to have multiple installs of different versions and/or distros, you may consider NOT using a separate /home but having a data partition (I call mine "files") to store media and documents and allow each different install to have it's own /home. Thus preventing the possibly problematic mixing of settings and the like.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I'll follow the way said by oshunluvr, and start a new /home, to prevent the existing problems.

Later I tell you the results.

See you!

Comment

Well Guys,

Now I'm running Maverick.
          I formatted the entire disk and created a new one /home.

The only problem I had was a plasma-widget-networkmanagement crash.
          At the beginning it worked fine, but after some reboots it showed a red cross in the tray, and don't recognized anymore the network interfaces.

As I was not happy with this widget since the first KDE4 version, I changed to Wicd and now I'm happy with it.

See you and thanks again!

Comment

Great! As to wicd, you should avail yourself of the information in Greygeek's Re: how wicd under kubuntu 10.4? as to ensuring that all vestigages of *networkmanager* are removed and all needed components of wicd are installed.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok Snowhog,

Really there was some packages to install and remove, thanks by the tip.

Comment

Working...
              X