X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No partitions recognized during instalation

Hi
    I tried to upgrade from lucid to maverick with do-release-upgrade, but it failed because of too many errors, and now lucid is unusable. I tried a fresh installation of Kubuntu-10.10, but when it get to menu for partitions, there is none listed. Clicking on buttons, New partition table, add, change... produce absolutely nothing. There is a button Install now but I'm afraid that clicking on it will format the entire disk, and I'll loose all data. I have separate partitions for / and /home.
    Any hints, or should I downgrade to lucid?

Re: No partitions recognized during instalation

Make an "Alternate" installation CD, and take a look at #1.b. in the FAQs linked in my signature.

Comment

Another possibility is errors on your partition table Run sudo fdisk -l from the livecd and look for errors.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Make an "Alternate" installation CD, and take a look at #1.b. in the FAQs linked in my signature.
        In BIOS I have 2 modes for SATA: IDE (which was default), and RAID. I changed to RAID but it's the same story.
        With fdisk -l it list the partitions without any errors.
        I think I will switch to another not so cutting edge/experimenting oriented distribution :-(

Comment

Originally posted by vladoboss
          In BIOS I have 2 modes for SATA: IDE (which was default), and RAID. I changed to RAID but it's the same story.
          With fdisk -l it list the partitions without any errors.
          I think I will switch to another not so cutting edge/experimenting oriented distribution :-(
          What, you don't have "AHCI" mode for SATA? If not, you might need to upgrade your BIOS, if an upgrade is available.

No, you can't set it to "RAID" for installation of any Linux that I've ever heard of.

As said in my FAQs, you need it set to "IDE" for installation, and if the Ubiquity installer on the Live CD still can't see your drive, then you need to use the Alternate installation CD.

Comment

What, you don't have "AHCI" mode for SATA? If not, you might need to upgrade your BIOS, if an upgrade is available.

No, you can't set it to "RAID" for installation of any Linux that I've ever heard of.

As said in my FAQs, you need it set to "IDE" for installation, and if the Ubiquity installer on the Live CD still can't see your drive, then you need to use the Alternate installation CD.
            You can have it set to "Ahci" as well, no problem, only "Raid" doesn't work.
            Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

In the past year I've run into two different motherboards on which "AHCI" mode hides the SATA drive from the Ubiquity installer. There have also been a poster or two on this forum who "found" their disk drive when they changed the SATA mode to "IDE". Ubiquity has always been sensitive about hard drive/controller detection, in my experience. The first two days I spent with Kubuntu (6.06) consisted of proving beyond all doubt that Ubiquity would NEVER install to a SATA drive on my Intel D975XBX motherboard, as long as I had an IDE drive connected to it at the same time. Pulled the connector on the IDE drive, and the problem disappeared.

The text installer on the Alternate CD also has fewer of these problems, in my experience.

Comment

Not so. Kubuntu installed faultlessly for me onto RAID volumes created using the mainboard RAID right up until 9.10.
                This has been one of my big frustrations with Kubuntu and Ubuntu.
                RAID support used to work, from both the live disc and the alternate, and now even the server edition will not install to a RAID volume. How stupid is that?
                How many servers these days do not use hardware RAID with 0,1,5 or 10 RAID volumes?
                OpenSUSE works fine, Debian works fine, Fedora works fine, just to name a few.

It is very frustrating that something so basic has not been sorted out.
                More than that it is an embarrassment, especially when offering an alternative solution to Windows admins.
                A clean install for me has for some time now involved installing 9.04 and then performing dist-upgrades to get to the latest version.
                Rant rant rant. Sorry.
                You don&#39;t need a license to drive a sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by Pillage Idiot

It is very frustrating that something so basic has not been sorted out.
                  I personally would not view RAID configuration on either a desktop computer or a server as "basic", but ... moving on ....

oshunluvr has written a fine guide for software RAID: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3114477.0

Anyone who seriously needs hardware RAID should get a serious hardware RAID controller, with Linux drivers. Here is a good quality source: http://www.3ware.com/products/serial_ata.asp

Comment

Working...
                  X