X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 10.10 installation rejected - md5 sum

Hi all,

Computer: ASUS N53J, 14 GB DDR3, HDD 500 GB, nVidia GeForce GT425M

I have been trying many times to install Kubuntu 10.10 Desktop amd 64.
    I checked the .iso md5 sum with three different softwares and the hard way, digit by digit.
    I intend to install it as only OS on this computer.
    To day, MS Windows 7 Professional

1. Is there a way to install Kubuntu onto a brand new HDD, without another OS installed?

so, I temporarily installed Windows 7 Pro. Then I launched wubi.exe for helping in booting from the CD. I get an error message and an invitation to open the wubi-10.10-rev197.log logfile.

The attached file shows the problem towards its end.

I can read that the md5 fisum is not OK. How could come since I carefully checked it?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions
    Attached Files
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />The path to knowledge is rugged and endless

Re: Kubuntu 10.10 installation

First, a couple of points about posting here:

1. Forum etiquette dictates you not post horrendously long error output or log files unless asked for it or it is absolutely essential to your explanation of whats going on - which in this case it isn't. In the event you feel it might be, create a text file and attach it to your post rather than cut-and-paste-ing it into your post. That way, we can read what you have to say without endless scrolling.

2. The Subject Line is the first, and often only, chance you have to attract qualified assistance to your issue. You subject line of "Kubuntu 10.10 installation" doesn't describe anything about what problem you're having or what help you are requesting. I suggest you amend your first post and edit the subject line.

3. Click the "ReadMe" link in my signature for more helpful information on the best posting methods.

Now to your problem; I am confused as to why you would install windows, then install kubuntu via wubi if you don't want windows on your computer?

If you have a good iso, why not burn it to a CD or use it to create a bootable USB stick and boot it?

Please Read Me

Comment

In addition to oshunluvr's excellent advice, there's a link in my signature below to the "Top 20" FAQs, which actually do include the answers to most of your questions. For example:

Originally posted by Kemper

1. Is there a way to install Kubuntu onto a brand new HDD, without another OS installed?
      YES. I recommend you make a Parted Magic Live CD or USB stick: http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads

Boot that, then use the Partitioner to set up your hard disk drive the way you want it for your Linux system. Once that is done, then you can boot your Kubuntu Live CD, or Alternate CD (my favorite), and proceed to install on the newly formatted partition(s) that you have already made on the hard drive.

Comment

wait a second did u boot the CD? cause that is how you would install it as your only os. durring the setup it will ask you how to partition your disk...
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Kubuntu 10.10 installation rejected - md5sum

Originally posted by sithlord48
          wait a second did u boot the CD? cause that is how you would install it as your only os. during the setup it will ask you how to partition your disk...
          Sorry for my mistakes. I apologize. Generally forums reject the idea of attached files.
          I used both methods:
          1. I made a bootable CD from the iso file using the usb_setup.exe utility. It was rejected for non-compliant md5sum, though the checking told me it was OK. This is why I installed Windows then. I did it that way when installing Ubuntu (on another computer) over an existing OS.
          Here, installation process does not even start. Incidentally, even editing the boot order in the BIOS, I cannot boot from the CD (or, respectively, with and USB Flash).

2. Then, I made a simple copy of all files on CD and installed it under Windows. Exactly the same result at the same place in the log file.

The md5 sum are declared OK, but installation is rejected anyway. Apparently, the file install md5 sum does not match.

04-01 10:14 ERROR CommonBackend: Invalid md5 for ISO C:\ubuntu\install\installation.iso (760c15562bdffba54f23852a5d47db4e != f6bc7c29bb92f993dc762988cca4b989)

The first md5sum above is the global md5 sum for the iso file as a whole.

I really do not understand what can be underneath.

Thank you for your assistance,
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />The path to knowledge is rugged and endless

Comment

Re: Kubuntu 10.10 installation rejected - md5sum

1. I made a bootable CD from the iso file using the usb_setup.exe utility.
            That does not sound correct. The usb_setup utility is for a bootable USB key, not a bootable CD. You need to use CD burning software, and burn the downloaded ISO file as an image to a blank CD. (not as data, as an image -- check your burning options).

2. Then, I made a simple copy of all files on CD and installed it under Windows.
            I've never heard of that working, either.

Try again burning the Live CD from your Windows CD burning software, burn as image.

Comment

Re: Kubuntu 10.10 installation rejected - md5 sum

not sure if windows comes w/ a tool to burn an iso file. if not you can always download and install imgburn . this is a "free" utility (free as in price here not free as in gpl) that is for creating and burnins isos.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Re: Kubuntu 10.10 installation rejected - md5sum

Originally posted by dibl

2. Then, I made a simple copy of all files on CD and installed it under Windows.

I've never heard of that working, either.

Try again burning the Live CD from your Windows CD burning software, burn as image.
                Still, it's the way I always installed Ubuntu (from 6.04 till 10.10 - 32 b) on any laptop or desktop... And it worked without flaw. In addition, this way the HDD is automatically partitioned and I keep the default partitioning.
                Now I have a 64 bits new laptop and I want to try the Kubuntu 64 bits versions, even if the 32 bits version is recommended.

So again, what can make that mismatching in md5sum? Apparently this is the key problem.
                Burning a CD or DVD is not a problem. I have what I need both with Windows (Nero 10) or Ubuntu. But, as I wrote before, booting from a CD with the iso file is rejected too.
                When I insert a Windows DVD, I am prompted : "Will you boot from the DVD?" Nothing alike with the Kubuntu.

I am still in wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                  In addition to oshunluvr's excellent advice, there's a link in my signature below to the "Top 20" FAQs, which actually do include the answers to most of your questions.

- check/verify the md5 sum on your downloaded ISO file against the md5 sum listed for it on the download site (here's how, and here's more) DONE 3 different ways
                  - set the burn mode to Disk At Once (DAO) mode if it is available - I will check this
                  - set the burn speed to 4X -- or the lowest speed your drive offers - I will burn a new CD that way
                  - don't even try it with a CD-RW -- they don't work - I don't use that
                  - if you're still making coasters, try a different brand of blank media or use a different PC for burning - What do you mean by coaster?
                  - clean the lens on your optical drive (compressed/canned air might work)- Checked - OK
                  - don't assume that the "Check CD For Defects" function is 100% reliable -- it isn't - Noted
                  - verify suspected bad CDs on another computer/optical drive (is it the CD or the drive that is causing the problem?) - Done - No problem on that side
                  - understand that everyone makes a coaster once in awhile - What is a coaster?

Thank you. I will keep you informed until final success.

Comment

- understand that everyone makes a coaster once in awhile - What is a coaster?
                    Bad burns are often referred to as coasters, which is basically the only thing those cds are good for.

Comment

Re: Kubuntu 10.10 installation rejected - md5 sum

In follow up to my eariler post let me say excellent work on "cleaning up" the first post and the rest of your posts have also been excellent. I'm glad you didn't get defensive or offended by my advice, sometimes people do even though I don't intend it to be taken that way. I understand your point about attaching. I believe here it is preferred. The file size is very limited (128kb) and the attachments are often deleted when they become old to free the space.

Re 64 vs. 32 bit - Frankly, I'm unsure as to why they still give that advice except maybe for some older no-longer developed software might have issues. However, you can still install and link to 32 bit libraries or simulate 32 bit. I do this to run a very old game. With a few simple entries in it's menu, it runs fine. Point is - go with 64 bit unless you know of a good reason not to.

Since you're having so much trouble burning a CD - any chance you can get your hands on a small (1 or 2gb is plenty) USB drive? There are several excellent windows utilities that will install from an iso to a USB drive and I have no doubt your new laptop will boot to a USB drive (usually press F12 when starting up will allow a one-time USB boot - this may vary with manufacturers). Here's one link to a program that can do this for you http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                      X