This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally reliable suspend in 10.10

Even though in other posts I outlined some tweaks to improve suspend to ram, I got freezes about 25% of the times I tried to suspend. I have used MEPIS for a long time, and it always worked fine.

So, I finally found that (K)Ubuntu uses kernel mode suspend instead of uswsusp. Solution:

1. Install uswsusp
    2. create a file 99local in /etc/pm/config.d with the line SLEEP_MODULE=uswsusp

Ever since I have flawless suspend to ram. No need even to unload modules (which I had to do before).

Hope this helps someone.

Re: Finally reliable suspend in 10.10

I don't usually use this feature, but thanks for taking the time to report it.

Just to be sure, this file should be executable - Y or N?

Please Read Me

Comment

No, the file should not be executable. It is just a config file that is read by the suspend module.

Comment

Darn it! For a minute there I thought this was the magic bullet.

I have never been able to suspend my 2006 Dell Inspiron 630m to RAM, although suspending to disk has never been an issue.

The machine seems to suspend Okay and indeed appears to come back to life also. Everything looks okay, even the network appears to have been revived, but when I click anything on the desktop one of two things happens:

1. A message saying kde.init cannot find the application or
        2. An instant black screen

Under either condition, it appears the only thing I'm able to do is to Reisub out of there. Shame, would have been nice to fix this.

Comment

Hmm, that sounds fixable. Maybe you need to unload some specific modules. May be a bit trial and error though, so if it is no big deal to you, you might not want to invest the time

Comment

Typing reisub slowly I see a whole load of errors, mainly DMA errors and a few examples of I/O failures to the hard drive - Not pretty

Comment

No, that sounds bad..... No idea how to fix that, sorry. Can you copy an error message and google it?

Comment

Probably not as it just flies by.

Is it likely to be retained in a log file?

Comment

Sure, type dmesg in a konsole session

Comment

Oops, I referred to this thread and discovered I recommended to type dmesg when you have to raise skinny elephants to get out of the freeze.

You could try to shut down the machine and reboot with the live CD. Then open /var/log/messages on the hard drive to check what happened when the machine froze.

Comment

would this suggestion work on laptop with encrypted disks?
                      and would this data written to disk be encrypted with user key?

thanks,

Comment

Suspend to ram only freezes memory and CPU state, so no data has to be written to disk. In other words: yes, it would work.

Suspend to disk normally uses a swap partition. Uswsusp allows you to encrypt the memory dump file. Again, no user data such as documents etc is written to the dump file, but rather memory content.

Disk encryption basically has nothing to do with suspend to ram or suspend to disk. It should be transparent.

Comment

Originally posted by Xinixs
                          Even though in other posts I outlined some tweaks to improve suspend to ram, I got freezes about 25% of the times I tried to suspend. I have used MEPIS for a long time, and it always worked fine.

So, I finally found that (K)Ubuntu uses kernel mode suspend instead of uswsusp. Solution:

1. Install uswsusp
                          2. create a file 99local in /etc/pm/config.d with the line SLEEP_MODULE=uswsusp

Ever since I have flawless suspend to ram. No need even to unload modules (which I had to do before).

Hope this helps someone.
                          Hi i have installed uswsusp and created a file with kate and save it as 99local in /etc/pm/config.d i have added SLEEP_MODULE=uswsusp. but it doesnt work. i tried do suspend to ram but i have the same problem. see here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...;topicseen#new

what can i do?
                          kubuntu feisty
                          newbee

Comment

i would be glad if someone can help me. thanks
                            kubuntu feisty
                            newbee

Comment

Working...
                            X