This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always want KDE as default

Okay, NORMALLY when I do a clean install of Kubuntu it's up to me whether or not I later add GNOME. This time, however--when I installed 10.10 on one of my computers--GNOME somehow came along for the ride. That doesn't bother me [too much], although I prefer being in control. (I've noticed that it's now referred to as "Ubuntu Desktop Version" or something, not GNOME, but it still looks like GNOME to me!)

But I want KDE to always be the default--even if a user previously logged in with GNOME. Is there a setting/option/config file somewhere that will always revert back to KDE regardless of the user's last DE choice? (I haven't gotten around to adding some of the others I normally add, like IceWM, but will when I feel like it.)
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Re: Always want KDE as default

System settings/System administration/ Start up and shut down/ Session management/ During log in

(Translated from Dutch so you might have to look for slightly different words)

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
      System settings/System administration/ Start up and shut down/ Session management/ During log in
      No, there's nothing there, just:

Code:
      On login:

. Restore previous session
      . Restore manually saved session
      . Start with an empty session
      The last choice is what I already had selected. There's also a space for "applications to be excluded from sessions" but that's not it.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

I haven't used this for a long time, but it used to be that the "Sessions" option was available in the log-in screen and you could select "Make this the default desktop" (or something similar) at your next log-in.

If you have auto-login enabled this option will not be presented.

I also think that if you have the file default.desktop in /usr/share/xsessions it will load the desktop indicated by that file. You could copy kde.desktop to default.desktop and see if it works...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
          I haven't used this for a long time, but it used to be that the "Sessions" option was available in the log-in screen and you could select "Make this the default desktop" (or something similar) at your next log-in.
          Nope, I'm not seeing anything like that any more.

Also, since I normally manually install GNOME after KDE, I've always been given the choice of KDM or GDM as my default, but since GNOME just [somehow] came along for the ride this time, I never saw that option.

If you have auto-login enabled this option will not be presented.
          No, never.

I also think that if you have the file default.desktop in /usr/share/xsessions it will load the desktop indicated by that file. You could copy kde.desktop to default.desktop and see if it works...
          Thanks. Will give that a whirl. Or I'll find the config file that must have KDM/GDM available to set as the default.

BTW, the only options on the login screen include one called "Default"--which, this being KUBUNTU and all, you'd think would mean...KDE!, and then KDE, Ubuntu Desktop Edition, a safe mode and a failsafe mode. Care to guess what "Default" logs me in under?

Comment

Hmm yes there is something missing in your install, I have KDE and LXDE installed and get these options in the log in screen.
            I assumed at least the 'previous' option would have been available to you.

Comment

hows about your first know if your using KDM or GDM. use dpkg --reconfigure to set up your DM.. since you know u have KDM i would try

sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm

in a konsole , that should ask you if you want to use KDM or GDM as your login manager.

no matter what one u use there should be a session button.depending on ur login theme it might not say session or might have no word at all. but i have yet to find a theme with out that session button (althougth some make it hard to find).
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
              X