This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The New Ubuntu Fonts

I was curious...what do you think of the new ubuntu fonts?
    Also...has anyone tried them on their Chrome/Chromium web browser? Do you like them enough to use them instead of the default fonts on Chrome?

Also, i was a bit confused...even though i see the ubuntu fonts in my Chromium font settings..when i set it to them, i am not seeing any difference on the web pages...someone told me that you need to install the "ubuntu fonts extension" in Chrome/Chromium in order to get web pages to render in the ubuntu fonts...Is that what you need to do?

Thanks in advance for all feedback on this...

Re: The New Ubuntu Fonts

I must say that I've found the new Ubuntu fonts ugly - they come up klunky and pixelated and just don't look good in title bars and menus (e.g. Thunderbird, Chrome). I'm using Kubuntu on two different machines with very different displays, and the Ubuntu fonts look bad on both. I have switched the system default to use a different font instead, which looks much nicer.

Comment

A font tip - check your DPI.

Default X fonts come in 75x75 and 100x100 dpi and windows are usually 96x96.

I think these days most installs do a good job of setting a good (square) DPI but it my not align with your selected fonts.

Basically - if you have a good video card and monitor and you use X fonts - set it at 100 DPI and install the 100 DPI fonts.

If you use windows fonts mostly - you can use 96x96 dpi to have better looking fonts.

To check your current DPI, open a terminal and type xdpyinfo |grep reso .

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I switched to forcing 120 dpi and that definitely improved the appearance of the ubuntu fonts. (But I still don't particularly like it, and am sticking with Verana Sans instead!)

Comment

Has anyone noticed that kubuntu has a tendency to revert to the ubuntu font as the kde default, from time to time?

Comment

You know, I haven't. But I wonder if it happens during certain upgrades.

I re-set my fonts (new install) to check your theory!

Please Read Me

Comment

Yes, there were definitely a point sometime over the last month or two when my default fonts got reset. I think it coincided with an upgrade to one of the fonts packages (but that was on a different PC, so I can't look into the details just now).

Comment

Working...
              X