This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So far so bad...

Decided to do a fresh 10.10 install to check it out. I use RAID so my installs are from the alternate cd's rather than the live cd. Here's my notes thus far;

1. grub-pc has regressed to it's previous almost unusable state: Turns out the grub on 10.10 won't detect almost anything other than it's own install-host. In fact, it left me without a usable computer unless I want to use 10.10. It did notice and setup Linux Mint 9 KDE on one partition, but wouldn't boot to it even though I booted to it this morning from 10.04. Manually editing grub.cfg didn't help either. Trying to run grub-install from the live cd 10.04 didn't work because RAID (which I install to) isn't supported by the livecd kernel - and yes I installed mdadm to the live environment and it was unable to assemble my RAID devices. Finally ended up doing a new 10.04 (alt cd) install to another partition and now I'm booting back to my previous 10.04. That's 1 hour wasted.

2. Hard drive detection is bonkers: When I did the initial install, I noticed during partitioning setup the my hard drives were listed as sda,sde,sdf,sdg rather than sda,sdb... as before. There were no devices present occupying sdb, sdc, sdd. This did not prevent the install from occurring, but was a bit disconcerting. The mis-labeling carried over to the install environment.

3. Wine went nuts too: The main reason I decided to do the 10.10 install in the first place was because wine and 10.04 will no longer let my Warcraft III game play. I didn't want to move back to 9.10 where it worked so I thought I'd give 10.10 a shot. Not only did Warcraft not play, but wine took over http: and tried to launch a "wine browser" when I clicked on a link. Actually, it tried to launch a "wine browser" (whatever that is) once every half-second or so until my task bar looked like it was solid black and I rebooted. To be fair, it's unlikely this is Meerkat's fault but worth reporting.

Granted, my setup is a bit unusual, but it's far from exotic. Using RAID0 and having more than one hard drive seems to be too much for the current iteration of Meerkat. Which is saddening because 9.04, 9.10, and 10.04 have had no problems like the above on this system. Typical growing pains I suppose. I'll be waiting quite awhile before I attempt this again.

On the upside - for the 10 minutes I spent using 10.10, it looked great visually and seemed snappy. I guess that would be KDE4.5.1 over 4.4.5 I'm using with 10.04.

EDIT: and kpackagekit was 1000% improved, but knetworkmanager is still total crap.

Please Read Me

Re: So far so bad...

That's a surprising and disappointing report. Did you use the Live CD or the Alternate Install?

Grub worked flawlessly on my Beta installation only a couple of weeks ago, detected my other OS and wrote a perfect boot menu -- I wonder how they managed to break it.

I used the Alternate Install CD and it saw my 3 drives and 10 partitions with no issues. I'm scratching my head .... :P

Comment

I don't use raid, so I can't comment on those issues, but my installation with the alternate CD went smoothly. All of my drives were detected and grub found and listed all of the partitions with an OS installed. The only issue I had was not *buntu's fault. I added a third hard drive post installation and my BIOS put it in the 2nd hard drive slot instead of the 3rd, and moved my previous 2nd to 3rd. This of course borked my fstab where I had commands to mount some partitions found on the original 2nd drive. Easily fixed. Now I have changed all of the mount commands in fstab to use UUID instead of the dev location to keep this from happening again. Finally found a use for UUID.

Comment

I upgraded yesterday over the internet, and it was flawless. Not a single problem from start to finish.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
          3. Wine went nuts too: The main reason I decided to do the 10.10 install in the first place was because wine and 10.04 will no longer let my Warcraft III game play. ...
          Have you tried the current Wine 1.3.4 from here? Works fine for me.
          https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ppa

Main repos (Lucid and Maverick alike) only have the old Wine 1.2.
          Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

i did several installs of maverick over the weekend, and i have had none of the issues you pointed out. then again they were all from the desktop cd. and the machines w/ wine i have always used the wine repo instead of the wine included..
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

mmm... must be a problem specific to having RAID on the HD.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have to use the Alternate install cd because mdadm support isn't included with the livecd. I should have also stated it was the 64 bit version.

dibl, grub saw all my partitions and such, just mis-identified my drives for some weird reason, and grub-update wouldn't identify any of my other installs except the mint - which it incorrectly set up. The grub package version was 1.98+20100804-5ubuntu3. I have read some other posts on Ubuntu boards relating trouble with the new grub. I should get over the idea that I need to update grub at all since the 10.04 version works well.

Warcraft III hasn't worked with any wine - main repo or otherwise - since 1.01. This is not a "deal breaker" but was more of a test to see if wine broke it or kubuntu. There are dozens of posts about this all over the internet, but it's an old game now so not much action on a fix.

This was a clean install, not an update. However, an update-install on my Ubuntu install on my media computer went fine except for broken support for xmbc and boxee. My fault for not checking before I upgraded. I doubt it will be long before they catch up now that the official release has happened.

The most unsettling thing was the drive lettering being wacky. It has the potential of being dangerous because if you're not paying close attention you could easily over-write something you didn't intend to.

I'm going to give it a couple of weeks to shake out, and then I'll try a new iso - WITHOUT allow grub to re-install!

Please Read Me

Comment

Only way I can get wine-1.3 to work is to do the following:

You need to start winecfg, for the appropriate WINEPREFIX if you are using multiple ones.

Under libraries, add gameux, and set it to disabled.

Now my games work.
                  We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

The problem is that the no-cd update patch supplied by Blizzard specifically for Warcraft III no longer works and putting the cd in makes no difference either.

This is an issue specific to Warcraft III - are you playing that game successfully??

Please Read Me

Comment

Sorry, I don't have Warcraft III.
                      I was shocked, to say the least, when all my games vanished after upgrading wine.
                      That is the solution I was given, and it worked.
                      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                        Warcraft III hasn't worked with any wine - main repo or otherwise - since 1.01. This is not a "deal breaker" but was more of a test to see if wine broke it or kubuntu. There are dozens of posts about this all over the internet, but it's an old game now so not much action on a fix.
                        My install of WarCraft III runs like a native a build in Wine, so I'm not sure what's going on with your situation.

----------

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
                        I was shocked, to say the least, when all my games vanished after upgrading wine.
                        I didn't have this problem, either. But then I've been running the nightly (or whatever) builds for a while, so maybe that's the difference?

Comment

Mountain man: I had it working better than in windows for years. After I switched to 10.04 it stopped working. It's installs flawlessly, I run the 1.24e update. Then I get a "No CD found" error. Must be something got lost in the change over. I'll dig into it more next week.

Please Read Me

Comment

Maybe this is of some help:

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14129

See last comment, which is:

It seems the problem dissapeared after I set the registry key
                            BreakOnFirstChance to zero (in the WineDbg section).

Comment

Working...
                            X