This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making a Wired Static IP configuration automatic

I've created a wired connection with a static IP and set it to connect automatically, but it still wants to auto-connect to eth0 using DHCP. How can I get it to use my new connection automatically? I found an article for 9.10, but the directions don't seem to apply for 10.10.

Thanks.
    Bill Lugg

Re: Making a Wired Static IP configuration automatic

Is it your router? Probably you need to set the router NOT to be a dhcp server.

Comment

I don't think so, because I want to have it serve addresses for my laptop and visitors that need access when they're here. The article I referred to earlier (http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3108660.0) suggested that there was a setting that one could use to flag a connection as the one to use as the "auto" connection. I can't find anything in the current Network Management tool to do that. This is what I'm looking for.

For that matter, I wonder where KDE is getting the instructions to connect using DHCP through the on-board LAN interface in the first place...or did I tell it to do that during installation, and then forget. If that's the case, how can I undo it?

Thanks.
      Bill Lugg

Comment

in maverick, you need to edit a file to turn off the 'auto eth0' bit that keeps connecting automatically. This seems to be fixes in kde 4.7, or maybe even 4.6. something. You can now enable/disable and configure that connection in the network management widget

now for the life of me I can't recall how and what to edit to do this in 10.10's versions of KDE.

Comment

The answer will depend heavily on how you created your static connection. In other words, you haven't given us enough details.

Please Read Me

Comment

Why not just create a MAC reservation on the router and serve up the static IP that way? I prefer to manage all my static IPs in one location.
            we see things not as they are, but as we are.
            -- anais nin

Comment

The most static free way I've found to use static addresses on my local net is to “Manage Connections.” Click the network icon on the task manager bar. Create the connection with the static address that you want; name it; do not check auto connect. You may have to reboot before it appears among the connections. Click on your new connection and it will be used in place of auto eth0. The latter will now be selectable from the list if you want to change back. Forcing Kubuntu to auto hookup a static address usually creates unintended consequences. So I always choose when to use a static address.
              It's not much hassle. If I limit DHCP on my router to a range and use static addresses outside of it, it's easy to keep my dual boot machines that are currently running windows from accessing my serious local net. Windows and wireless are never assigned other than DHCP addresses on my net. Also ee in /etc, exports, NFS, hosts.allow.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                The answer will depend heavily on how you created your static connection. In other words, you haven't given us enough details.
                I created it using the Network Management tool in KDE. I created a new wired connection, named it, entered the IP i wanted (outside the range that the router assigns for DHCP) and the other data, including DNS addresses from my ISP. I also checked the Connect automatically checkbox. I saved it all and tried connecting using it and it works well, but it just won't connect automatically at boot.

HTH
                Bill Lugg

Comment

Originally posted by agkaiser
                  ... Forcing Kubuntu to auto hookup a static address usually creates unintended consequences. So I always choose when to use a static address.
                  Can you elaborate on what the unintended consequences might be?

Thanks.
                  Bill Lugg

Comment

Yeah, I figured you were using Network Manager. I (and many others) have removed it because of it's quirks.

I configure my desktop and server manually (because I use functionality unavailable with Network Manager) and my laptops using WICD.

Unfortunately, you can't manually configure and use Network Manager at the same time.

EDIT: Tried this in a virtual machine and it worked fine. What are your settings in Network Manager? What I did was allow it to connect, copied all the settings into a new static connection and changed the IP address, restarted and it worked.

Please Read Me

Comment

... Forcing Kubuntu to auto hookup a static address usually creates unintended consequences. So I always choose when to use a static address.

Can you elaborate on what the unintended consequences might be?

Thanks.
                      Bill Lugg

Because Kubuntu automatically configures DHCP IP at install, applications like Firefox depend on that setup. I've had Firefox and Konqueror be unable to find the Internet connection after switching to a static IP. If Kubuntu allowed static connections at install, as some distributions do, this would make their use easier. If you force K to automatically connect to a static IP, you run the risk of difficulty accessing non local nets like the Internet.
                      For security reasons, I want Windows on dual boot machines to use DHCP limited to lower numbered nets. That way I can setup /etc hosts.allow and exports to use allow static addresses that Windows will never see. When I want to mount an NFS drive or partition, I switch to a non auto configured IP. You can use ifconfig to do this without disconnecting DHCP. Check out man ifconfig, then write a shell script. You'll probably need to use sudo to modify IPs. You can also setup a manual IP with Network Manager. If I do, I don't set it to auto config. When I want to use it, I look at the list of available networks and select it. Later, if I choose, I can switch back to auto eth0, which will then appear in the list.

Why don't I trust MS? Windows has tried to 'fix' linux partitions and even formatted them without warning. I don't trust Microsucks to see my network drives.

Comment

Working...
                      X